E4OD...... differences????

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
OK, I was under the impression the E4OD wasent any differnent between say 92 and 96. I understand that the 97's had some updating done, but is there actually any differences? I was just at Black Cloud Diesel's wesite lookin at stack kits, and found the kit for my valve body i think, but they say late 94 and up??? im assuming this is mearly just because these aftermarket guys dont really care to include us IDI guys even though just about everything else is the same between the years? im confused, I need some cheap tranny updating and lookin for things to add, Whats the best route for me? I know Okie swears my the Baumann unit, (if I had 500 bucks Id probably swear by it too LOL ) but like I said, CHEAP updating, I plan on an external filter kit, but have some questions about that too, but when I get to that point i'll ask em.
But I guess, my other question is, whats compatable (meaning what after market things will work together) Im lookin at the item on BCD, but what about a shiftkit in conjunction, or is that the whole point of the valve body stuff, that a shift kit is not nessecary to add on? Whats going to get the most bang for the buck???? Cheaply now! either valve body mods, or shift kits or both???? I dont know nuthiun bout the internal passage ways, n pressures, n whateverelse goes on in there, all I know is its expencive to fix!
Thanks guys!

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
That was an excellent article, got any more?? LOL gave me some ideas, hehehe, jut not for my tranny! actually checkball9, sounds like a good idea to leave out, seems how i got lotsa hills n tow'n I need a much faster 3-2 downshift kinda tired of hittin the throttle after i downshift to bump up the RPM's so it engages better. but anyway here is a link to the "tricumulator" I was reffering to.
http://blackclouddiesel.com/Ford/Transmission/sonnax.htm
Im acctually thinking about BD's valve body assembly as well. I just gotta choose one or the other I guess. Im just unclear on how some of this stuff helps.

:draw

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The sonnax kit is a very good upgrade for the E4OD. The sonnax kit requires only dropping the pan and pulling the valve body, very simple to install. You can also go the Transgo Tugger HD II route, that kit gives you the parts and pieces to beef up the valve body and also the pump mod. , the Transgo kit requires valve body removal and check ball removal as well as dropping the tranny out of the truck so you can access the pump.

There are two bolt on kits available for the E4OD as well, one is made by Factory Tech, known as the FTVB kit which is a modded valve body, bolt it on and go. BTS is also making a modded valve body bolt and go kit.

I think dollar for dollar, at 50 bux the sonnax kit is the cheapest bang for the buck and will firm up your shifts significantly, I put the Transgo kit in my E4OD last spring becuase I tow occassionaly. The transgo kit can be had on ebay for around 100 dollars, I think the FTVB and BTS kits are both over 200 clams. I hope some of that info helps.

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
I'll go check them out Okie, LOL r ya sure ya dont own stock??? LOL
Its ok, we all know that when ya find something, GREAT, ya swear by it till it bites ya in the ****!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ealiaga12