E4OD are they all the same?

94Rangeron37s

Reaction score
i have a 97 Ford F350 4x4 and im having trans problems.. my question will a E4OD from another year 4x4 work in my truck? I have been told it was 97 only but its kinda hard to believe since the E4OD was used it so many other vehicles that they would make it 97 only. I know the Gasser trannys wont work but im hoping one from a different year Diesel will work for me any info will be much appreciated.

tknomaj

Reaction score
the only difference is in electrical connector to trans and if trimmed properly a early plug will fit on late model trans have done it at my shop when customer want to gamble on used trans rather than rebuilt . P.S. make sure you install new up dated neutral saftey switch (MLP) sensor and do re pinning of supplied connector improper setting of sensor or bad sensor will burn up new trans and fast

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
E4OD's are different through the years due to internal updates and computer controls. Any one will work as long as you use your Solenoid pack, range switch and it has to have a 6 stud TC. An older one wont have the stronger internals but if you trying to save money its an option for now.

94Rangeron37s

Reaction score
i just dont have the cash to have mine re built.. i can get one that i was told was for a 97 but i dont want to get it and not beable to make it work.. alot of the trans parts i have looked up have listed them for multiple year E4OD's but i cant find any where where it tells me the exact differences..so i can compare to the trans im looking at..

tknomaj

Reaction score
a 97 will have updated internals and a different valve body plug but like i stated earlier your plug will plug into it with minor modification and will function properly but buy up dated neutral saftey switch . install and enjoy

sassyrel

Reaction score
the diesel is dsl specific--a 460 one wont work---nor any other e4od--

tknomaj

Reaction score
the diesel is dsl specific--a 460 one wont work---nor any other e4od--

we were not talking about gasser's he has access to a 1997 e4od form a 7.3 and wanted to know if it will work and the answer is yes it will but the plug for his valve body on passenger rear corner is different same pin pattern but connector clip / r3etainer is different and with minor modification will plug in and work properly . but he has to up date his mlp/neutral saftey switch because it is differnt and ford has tsb about this

HOOTsF350

Reaction score
we were not talking about gasser's he has access to a 1997 e4od form a 7.3 and wanted to know if it will work and the answer is yes it will but the plug for his valve body on passenger rear corner is different same pin pattern but connector clip / r3etainer is different and with minor modification will plug in and work properly . but he has to up date his mlp/neutral saftey switch because it is differnt and ford has tsb about this

How do you tell if your 95 has the new switch as opposed to the old one. I've run a carfax and this was not on there. If I remember correctly the build date was March 95. Hopefully it was done when the tranny was built or before it was installed in the truck.
I just bought my truck a couple of months ago and learning fast and hard. Putting a drainable tranny pan is next. So I'll be nosing around in that area of the switch and would like to verify.
Thanks

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online