E4OD/ABS Issues 1993 7.3 IDI

bbird12

Reaction score
Sorry this is so long, I just wanted to cover everything. A couple months ago at the shop, we received a 1993 E350 bus with a 7.3 idi and an E4OD tranny. It came to us to have the transmission replaced with a rebuilt unit from WIT (Whatever it Takes). After doing so, we cleared all the codes and took the bus for a test drive and when it shifted from 1st to 2nd it was delayed and harsh as was 2nd to 3rd and then 3rd to 4th and 4th to OD were fine. When the harsh 1st to 2nd shift happened, the OD off light started flashing and the Rear ABS light came on. As usual when we have a Rear ABS light on on a Ford, the first thing we did was change the sensor in the rear. For the next drive, the bus did the same thing with the same lights at the same time. Then we read engine codes with the scanner and got code 23 FIPL Adjustment (pedal was pressed down) and 29 VSS. On one of the forums I read for code 23, I read that while You are in there adjusting the sensor, you should also replace it because it is inexpensive so we got an Echlin sensor from napa and installed it, upon adjustment I saw the sensor was at .4 volts at idle and it should be at 1.2v at idle and 4.5ish at WOT. I adjusted the sensor to 1.2v at idle and slowly pressed the throttle having a smooth increase in voltage. Then I cleared codes and checked again and code 23 was gone but we still had code 29 VSS. I then took it for another ride and noticed it shifted the same as before but it wasn't as harsh. When I got back, I searched for code 29 VSS and found to replace the rear abs sensor and the crank sensor. since we already replaced the rear abs sensor, I looked at the crank sensor and noticed the wires were bare at the base and it didn't create a voltage while running so we replaced that (ford part only) and still had code 29 vss. Then we put the bus on the lift and lifted the rear axle so the tires didn't touch. While it was in the air, I first measured AC voltage at the rear sensor and got a smooth increase while speed increased, Then I cut the connector free from the harness and checked the voltage there and got the same results. After repairing the wires, I measured the voltage at the abs module and again got the same results. Also the ABS light was still on this entire time so at home, I have an 87 f250 with the 6.9 idi and c6 and a 95 f350 dually with the 460 and E4OD and I stole the ABS modules from them for it and had no improvements (yes I know the c6 is more mechanical than the E4OD and also that an abs module from a dually is different from a single axle, the bus is a single axle). I then checked the abs codes again and received 11 short flashes and 1 long flash indicating code 12 - Brake fluid level low or Brake fluid level switch grounded at abs stop. I inspected the connector for the level sensor and saw 1 female pin in the plug was bad so I replaced that and still had code 12 so I replaced the reservoir (new sensor comes on it) and the code went away. Another thing I did was check the gauge cluster for any capacitors, solder joints or resistors that were bad (PSOM's are problematic on the mid 90's power strokes) and found nothing. The only thing left problem wise (visual) is code 29 is still there and the OD light still flashes during the harsh shifts, ABS light is gone. Please try to help if you have any more suggestions, The tranny supplier will not send another unit until all of the codes are gone verifying that the 1st unit they sent is bad. Also, I can't check voltages at the Computer because we don't have a break-out box.

In conclusion:

Harsh 1-2 and 2-3 shifts
OD Light flashes after shift
Engine code 29 remains
ABS light is out

Parts replaced:

Transmission -WIT
Rear ABS sensor -Echlin from Napa
Crank Sensor -Ford Only
Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) -Echlin from Napa
Master cylinder reservoir (Brake fluid level sensor) -Ford

Original Codes:

-ABS
12 Brake fluid level sensor
Whatever the code is for the rear abs sensor, cant find the list at this moment

-Engine
23 FIPL adjustment
29 VSS

Remaining Codes:

-ABS
16 System OK

-Engine
29 VSS

Yes the brake lights work fine.
By the way, this is not a forum to turn into the decision of whose parts are better or what you would have gotten where. The supplier for the transmission was picked by the customer, we only have luck with Echlin electronic parts from Napa, I'd rather use Napa than Advanced Auto, Autozone or as we call them, Autozoo is by far one of the worst places to buy parts in our area, and some things are just easier, quicker, or only available from Ford.

Thank you for your help,
Brandon

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as before but it wasn't as harsh. When I got back, I searched for code 29 VSS and found to replace the rear abs sensor and the crank sensor.

I don't know what your referring to as the "crank sensor"? Crank sensor, could that be the Tach sensor?

The TPS/FIPL voltage does not necessarily have to be 1.2 VDC, it can be set as low as .50 VDC, the lower the voltage the softer the shift, try it at .96 VDC. The WOT voltage cannot be set, it is what it is.

IIRC on the 93 the VSS is for "Variable Speed" for the E4OD and the ABS. The VSS signal go to the PSOM first then mixes with the Tach signal and TPS signal for E4OD shift control.

Yes, Echlin parts are usually very good, Dorman ?????

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like your psom is bad or its output of the converted vss signal is grounded, does this thing have cruise control in it? If do try unplugging it and see if the code goes away. If not try swapping psom and see what that gives you.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like your psom is bad or its output of the converted vss signal is grounded, does this thing have cruise control in it? If do try unplugging it and see if the code goes away. If not try swapping psom and see what that gives you.

^ +1