e40d will not shift until 2100rpm

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
i just took the girl out for a burn the tranny does shift but it will not shift until 2100rpm hangs out there than shifts i also don't remember having to run at 2100-2200rpm to do 60mph/100kmh it feels like the tranny is wasting alot of power(man i can't wait to find a 5-speed or 6 speed manual for this girl)

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
i do not know my ratios on this truck
yes the torque locks up
shifts seem normal compared to the new auto trans in the new diesels

i think as soon as i can i will swap to manual as i do not like autos

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The year of the truck is important. If its an 88 or newer then it has the E4od trans. On the drivers side of the injection pump find a switch with 3 wires feeding it. Thats the FLPS. It needs to be set at .96 to 1.2 volts. I actually have mine set for 1.38 volts are warmed up idle setting. The key must be in the run position but don't start the motor. Then you need a digital voltmeter to set it.... Easy job with the right tool. If its an earlier truck then its a C6 trans with a vacuum switch on the drivers side of the pump. I don't have the specs for that one.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First check the voltage you have right now. If its out of what icanfixall posted, then loosen the screws that hold the sensor to the side of the injector pump. At idle (high idle must be off) position the voltage should be within those parameters, if its higher, than your shift RPM will be higher and the shift will be harder than normal.

You adjust the sensor by loosening the bolts and rotating it on the injector pump shaft untill you have the correct reading.

Also make sure your speedometer and tachometer are working properly. The trans computer takes info from the same sensors and if they are not working properly it will cause drivability problems or even fault codes to be stored.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey david85 how often do you get to the mainland? My family and I are re-locating in Smithers, B.C.
thanks for the info

No problem, hope it helps.

The mainland? Damn, I can't even remember the last time I've been on a ferry let alone to the mainland. Must have been over 10 years since I've even seen vancouver with my own eyes.....

My dad used to make a 24 hour run to vancouver to get railings power coated since there was no outfit on the north or central island back then. Went with him a few times and even tried to make it a family trip on the rare ocasion. I'm 23 yo now, and suddenly I'm feeling like an old man because the fully loaded F250 (not the one I have, his was an 1981 POS), with a good 3' of stacked railings on top and four of us cost a mere $50 one way to tsawwassen:eek: .

When we got back into railings 5 years ago there was a good shop in cedar (south nanaimo) so thats what the end of my week is usually like. Head down there, swap loads and come back home with last week's build. This combined with the inland island highway is why I have the E4OD and 3.08 gears and turbocharger, I prefer to stretch every drop of fuel. Its a long boring haul with posted speeds of 110kph most of the way. I sometimes peg the speedometer just to avoid dying of boredom.

Would like to see more of northern BC eventually, but theres just no time right now. All my time in BC has been on 'the island' and while it is very nice, it seems a waste not to see the rest of the country let alone my own province.

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
i know exactly what you mean the only way i see the countryside is through a windshield but whenever i can sneak away i am either pulling wrench for a little extra play money or fishing. But with trucking i have been everywhere in this great country of ours west of :puke:Ontario last time i was on the island i was 21yrs. old but i do have family there in port alberni

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
great country of ours west of :puke:Ontario

LOL, Proud westerner on this end too heehee;Sweet

On the upside there are some great boating spots in all the protected waterways between the island and mainland. We still get out every now and then with the ol glasspar for the day.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:thumbsup: we will have to talk fishing i haven't been saltwater fishing in 20yrs. i also flyfish;Sweet

Thats more fishing than I've done!! Well I did catch a puny salmon once and had to let if go. Been meaning to set some prawn traps this year since some one in the family can make a killer dish with those things. But alas, time is at a premium with that too. Usually we go to a good swimming hole with a lunch and relax a little. Should try fishing again, but never seem to have the time to get all the old gear together.

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
I make the time hell even when I'm trucking i have my gear with me and if i see a good spot i'll pullover and do a little catch and release i have a fishing license for everywhere i run(the logbook shows sleeper time) I used to do a lot of crabbing as well

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online