e40d no shift, and no tach?????

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys my dads gotta 1990 ford f250 7.3idi with a E40D and hes got no tach and the transmission has only two gears like high and low i think its called limp mode but we cant figure out whats wrong we checked the tach sensor and the EEC(TCM) relay with no luck..... anyone know what to look for??

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It won't shift correctly without input from the tach. How did you check the tach sensor?

purg113

new to me f350
Reaction score
mine did the same thing the tach died and i only had 2nd and overdrive. found a blown fuse under hood and fixed problem.

Hardass559

89 7.3 banks turbo
Reaction score
my 93 does that 2 i figured it was wireing never really look in to it bc i hafta put new cab on that truck any how but i will look in to the fuse thing in the morning just for fun

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The E4OD REQUIRES three sensor feeds for it to operate properly. One is the tach. Another is the speedometer which has the speed sensor right at the cable imput to the trans tailshaft. And finally the injection pump throttle positioning switch. On the electric speedometers trucks I think the speed senser is in the rear differantial.. I great that you can remove the parts and test them on your truck. The problem will be found easier now. Probably the fuse like posted because so far what you have "tested" works fine and thats a good thing.

Hardass559

89 7.3 banks turbo
Reaction score
ther is a tranny computer too but the tach and the tranny dont work so something is not getting power its not tranny related its wireing in the truck the guy i got mine from sid something about it i dident pay attention to what he said cause i had no plans to use the e40dwhen i was done building the truck but my plans have changed sick of shifting lol

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine did the same thing the tach died and i only had 2nd and overdrive. found a blown fuse under hood and fixed problem.
where is this fuse at? i havent been able to work on truck latley... dads been driving it to work every day hopefully this weekend we will look at it to see if we can find something wrong