E40D 2WD Trans dipstick length

wolf5842

Reaction score
Just realized today that the my Trans dipstick is sliding up and down in the plastic yellow cap which seals the Trans tube. Does anyone know the length of the stick from the bottom of the stick to the top of the portion which pushes into the tube which has the rubber seals. Thanks.

wolf5842

Reaction score
Please... Anyone? I can't gauge my Trans fluid and tell if I am underfilled or overfilled as the metal shaft/rod slides up and down the yellow fill cap mine doesn't have a round plastic top as I imagine it should!

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is a hacked together part that isn't OEM length anymore so I can't help you. However anyone else looking here should be able to give you the correct length for 2wd or 4wd. The dip sticks are the same AFAIK.

Anyone care to chime in?

Conky

Reaction score
E40D 2WD Trans dipstick length is 25.5" from end of stick to bottom edge of white cap
on my 90

I Checked it tonight for you

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Conky is correct, I just measured up the dipstick in my '90 E4OD 2wd - bottom of dipstick to edge of white cap is a tad under 25-1/2", the whitecap itself is a bit over 1/4" deep, so overall from the bottom of the dipstick to bottom inside the white cup where the disptic tube bottoms out is 25-3/4". Your dipstick obviously has yellow handle and cap, and ours are white, but that should be about it. What year is your truck?

P.S. sorry for the late response, it was pouring rain earlier and it only now slowed down a bit...

wolf5842

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. Oh, please don't say rain! I am in Ga where a school within 1/2 mile of me was completely under water. Getting better though. My truck is a 94 IDI Turbo 2WD. Once again thanks. Tomorrow I can try to properly position my dipstick and confirm my Trans. oil level.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, ya'll got it real bad over there - thankfully I only had to walk through like 3-4 inches of water to make it to my truck.

wolf5842

Reaction score
Went out today to reset the length of my Trans. dipstick and found that my trans gauge is about 40" longs. Sliding the dipstick's trans tube cap down to 25.5" would leave me with over 12" extending beyond the dipstick tube. My trans gauge is "Yellow" not "White" as those of you who took the time to look for me. Anyone? Thanks.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I am a little confused...are you trying to find the total legnth of the dipstick from the top of the handle to the top of the "full" mark? If I can understand what it is you are looking for I may be able to measure mine and let you know.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Went out today to reset the length of my Trans. dipstick and found that my trans gauge is about 40" longs. Sliding the dipstick's trans tube cap down to 25.5" would leave me with over 12" extending beyond the dipstick tube. My trans gauge is "Yellow" not "White" as those of you who took the time to look for me. Anyone? Thanks.

Yellow plastic handle that says Mercon on the end. If so the stick is for the 4R100 wich is longer. The white metal handle stick is the E4OD. You can find the correct part at a tranny shop or junkyard.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another thought, you can cut the dipstick down to a length that fits the E4OD - the crosshatch area begins at 1" from the lower end of the dipstick, and ends at 1-1/2" from the lower end of the dipstick, thus making it 1/2" long. In other words your max fill mark is 24-1/4" below the bottom of the cup that sits at the top of the dipstick under the handle.

In your situation I'd just slide the cup all the way up on the handle, then trim the dipstick under it to 25-3/4" length, then notch a line at 1" from the end of the dipstick (min fill mark) and then another line at 1/2" up higher at 1-1/2" from the end (max fill mark) and call it good. Keep the fluid level (when idling in park) between these two marks and all will be peaches. I always run mine right at the top fill mark, just to be on the safe side.

wolf5842

Reaction score
Trackspeeder - My dipstick doesn't say anything on it at the top part is simply a rod with a small loop at the end. Of course there used to be a plastic coating on it but that's gone. What I am left with is thin wire with a plug with an O-ring which is able to slide up and down the rod. At the other end which goes that the tube towards the trans I still have the plastic piece (White in Color) which say "Cold" and "Hot" I believe. Because the rod can move up and down that plastic "Yellow" plug the reading I am getting doesn't mean anything.

Looking for the length of the stick from the top of the "Cold" mark let's say to the stopping point of the stick when you put it into the trans tube. Hope this makes sense.
Thanks for taking the time to help me figure/resolve my problem.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We don't use "cold" and "hot" marks in the E4ODs, but assuming both your cold and hot readings are taken with the truck running then the cold mark should be 24-3/4" away from stopping point of the stick when fully inserted in the trans tube, and the hot mark would be 1/2" above that or 24-1/4" away from the stopping point of the stick.

By the way, when you say wire, do you mean your dipstick is actually a braided steel cable type? Cause the E4OD uses one like your engine oil dipstick, a single flat and long piece of steel, not the cable-like arrangement some of the new trucks have. If you do have the cable-type, do not cut it, instead try to find a way to secure the cup with the o-ring so it don't slide up - maybe a very small hose clamp will do the truck, or a small cable U-bolt clamp like this:
You must be registered for see images

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online