Dummied my u-joint yokes

bblaweless

Diesel Kid
Reaction score
Yesterday I was out shooting with some friends and we were climbing up a mountain and I got out to lock my hubs, put the truck in 4wheel....as i started creeping up the trail, I heard a huge clunk come from the front left of the truck.
Stopped immediately and rolled the truck back, heard a few more clunks then got out to see what had happened.

Turns out that the u joint yoke on the driver side had completely snapped and sheared off, while doing some shear damage to the front diff yoke.

I'm wondering what replacing these parts entails, I would assume that the hub side yoke is easy, but I'm not sure about the front diff...
Any input would be greatly appreciated. I can post pics if needed
Cheers
Benny

gandalf

Reaction score
Pictures always help. Many of us here are visually oriented. Also, give us a hint as to the truck, year, model, and such. From what you've said, we can assume it's a 4X4, but nothing more.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
From your terminology it sounds like front driveshaft at the diff. If so just find a local driveshaft short to weld a new yoke onto your driveshaft if the tube is undamaged.

From your description it sounds more like you broke an axle shaft. If so, source a new shaft from a junkyard or online and replace. You didn't mention what axle you have. If D60, pull the knuckle apart until you get the spindle off and slide old shaft out, new shaft in. If D50, same for drivers side. Pass side has a C clip inside the diff and requires disassembly of the diff to pull the shaft.

bblaweless

Diesel Kid
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies- I'll post photos tomorrow.

Don't know how I forgot to post details about the truck...mind must have been elsewhere.

The truck is a 92 f250
Dana 50 front end
Driver side damage
7.3 IDI NA

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Checkout Bronco Graveyard for parts; I bought some D60 axle parts from them and was happy with price, etc.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If all else fails, put up a WTB here in the market place. Most guys who D60 swap junk the 50 because nobody wants them. I sold both axles and stubs out of mine before fixing it up to scrap.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have used D50 ttb axles in stock.

Shipping was about near 50 bucks for pass side to texas

Axle was 50 bucks...

Let me know I can pull one wed.

Btw I remove U joint prior to shipping...why...it makes you install a new one...I wont sell an axle with u joint used...cannt ensure ujoint is good....plus packaging axle is smaller.

Someone installed an axle w used ujoint...blows up first use...my fault...nope...used...so I sell shafts now no ujoints now from that point forward....same with drive shafts!

Last edited:

bblaweless

Diesel Kid
Reaction score
got er done....

hey everyone, so thanks to riotwarrior's prompt shipping and the time he took to coach me over the phone i got the sucker replaced.....
she didnt go easy though

now i wasnt lucky enough to gave the special spindle pulling socket, or s slide hammer, so removing the actual spindle from the hub proved to be a lot harder than expected....

i tried everything from smashing it with a 4 pound mallet, to jacking on it, heating it...soaking it....to no avail.

from all the research i did regarding removing this piece it seemed like no one had actually tried the method that worked for me....

there is a small gap in between the spindle plate and the dust cover...just big enough so fit a flat head into. i started there and hammer'd a dmall flathead in until i had enough space to fit a bigger one in. once i got the bigger one in, i simply worked my way around the edge of the spindle plate with a short flathead (short enough to clear the dust shield) until the spindle came loose.....took about 15 minutes after hammering on the f**ker for 4 hours

You must be registered for see images attach

there she is....

beers are in order....

the old axle...

thanks to my buddies at Husky Situations, i was granted access to their drift shop so i could have the old pig sleepover night....and a nice bay to work in :)

Thanks again to riot warrior for providing the replacement parts, and taking the time to chat with me....made a big difference, also did a kick ass wrapping job for the shipping :Thumbs Up

Shes back to work now

cheers
Benny

Attachments

• IMG_20160312_163709511.jpg
    IMG_20160312_163709511.jpg
    973.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20160311_185946042.jpg
    IMG_20160311_185946042.jpg
    972.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20160314_124859856.jpg
    IMG_20160314_124859856.jpg
    983 KB · Views: 11

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Al likes to talk. LOL first beer is on me Al.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I was told to use an old spindle nut and thread it on, whack that with a hammer. Not recommended with the TTB locking spindle nuts. I have the tool that Al posted up in my ebay watch list. Just under $18 :D

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:flipaThanks for the kind words...

Yes that tool does more than D50/60 spindles does D35/44 as well...also it is threaded for two different size puller heads...meaning the larger IIRC 9/16" NF for slide hammer or smaller 1/2" NF for a different puller....u could thread it against the stub axle to force it out I guess...dunno...slide hammer is my babby!

As for you @typ4 ...easier to talk a person through than text it so :flipa

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
esandifer08