Dumb mistake = Strange problem

npe3484

Reaction score
In trying to fix a fuel leak, I ended up making the problem way worse. The soft line that goes from the fuel filter head down to injector #1 was leaking pretty significantly so I decided to try replacing it. I had some rubber fuel line laying around the house that was the right ID. Here's a pic of the line I'm talking about.

You must be registered for see images attach

So I proceeded to cut the right length of hose and install it in place of the leaker. After installing the new hose, I wasn't getting any smoke during engine cranking. I assumed I wasn't getting fuel and thought I should pull the new fuel line off and check it for kinks.

Turns out, a bee or wasp had made it's home inside the section of line that I had just installed in my truck :mad: I cleaned out that piece of line and re-installed it.

Now after 5-10 seconds of cranking I'm getting no fuel from the schraeder valve. I'm guessing there is now a clog somewhere? I'm not sure where to start looking for the clog.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The line you replaced is insignificant in terms of fuel delivery. It's a bypass that allows air bubbles to bleed off before they go to the injection pump. When you removed the line, your fuel filter drained itself due to the air intrusion. Spin your fuel filter off and see if it is full yet. If not, pour some power service or other favorite fuel additive in there to fill it up, and spin it back on. While you have the filter off, crank the engine and make sure is spits fuel out like theres no tomorrow. Consider converting to an electric fuel pump. This is a cheif example of why so many of us had.

npe3484

Reaction score
The fuel filter was completely full of fuel. I cranked on the engine a few more times, but am still not getting discharge of any kind (fuel/air) when the schraeder valve is depressed.

The truck only has about 1/4 tank so I'm thinking maybe the fuel pickup tube is broken off and can no longer reach the fuel?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you remember to try and crank it with the filter off?

npe3484

Reaction score
Yes I did try that too. Plenty of fuel came pouring out. I'm glad I put a cup under the filter head, or I would have had quite the mess.

What should my next step be?

tractorman86

Reaction score
change your filter, plenty of fuel without the filter and no fuel with it, it has to be plugged.

npe3484

Reaction score
Well I put 5 gallons of fresh diesel in it, and also picked up a new air filter and fuel filter. Unfortunately for me, whoever owned the truck previously had gotten rid of the fuel heater/water separator that screws onto the bottom of the fuel filter. So now I am stuck trying to find a new fuel filter that will fit but does not have the provisions for the heater/separator.

Does anyone have a part number for a filter like this?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I put 5 gallons of fresh diesel in it, and also picked up a new air filter and fuel filter. Unfortunately for me, whoever owned the truck previously had gotten rid of the fuel heater/water separator that screws onto the bottom of the fuel filter. So now I am stuck trying to find a new fuel filter that will fit but does not have the provisions for the heater/separator.

Does anyone have a part number for a filter like this?
there's no heater on the bottom.
only a "water in fuel" sensor.
WIX 33617 is the filter you want to get.
it will look like the one you currently have on there in the pic.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
from the wix web site:

Part Number: 33217
Style: Spin On Fuel Water Separator w/ Open End Bottom
Principal Application: Ford Trucks w/7.3L Diesel (87-95) (12 Micron)
Can use 33417 (Spin-on element w/ drain)
Also can use 33617 (Spin-on element w/ drain + sensor port)

Take the wix # to napa they will know which filter to give you.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
#3217 from the post by Devilish is the filter that reuses the factory bowl.

#3617 does away with the bowl, but it has a built-in water separator with a drain, and also a port for the water-in-fuel sensor - used this filter if your factory bowl is damaged, transfer the water-in-fuel sensor from the old bowl to the new filter.

#3417 also does away with the bowl, and has its own water separator with a drain, but does not have a port for the water-in-fuel sensor - use this filter when you're retrofitting the 7.3 assembly (filter + head) onto a 6.9 engine, or when your factory bowl is gone along with the sensor in it and you do not want to buy a new water-in-fuel sensor.

I suggest you go with the #3417, unless you're willing to purchase a new water-in-fuel sensor from the dealer, in which case go with the #3617 filter.

npe3484

Reaction score
I was able to get it started yesterday after adding 5 gallons of fresh diesel. This was still with my old fuel filter. I'm leaning towards the possibility that my glow plug system is not operating correctly. I've come to this conclusion because it was 55 degrees outside today when I went out to start my truck, and it fired right up.

I also think that there is some malfunction with the block heater system. When I plug it in the hose coming out of the heater gets warm. But even after having it plugged in for 6 hours, the hose coming out of the block is still cold. Do you think I have a clog somewhere?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online