dual stock fuel gauges

swervyjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eventually, I'm going to get aftermarket gauges to replace the stock gauges. Has anyone put a second fuel gauge I place of one of the other gauges? This is in a bullnose. I'm planning to make a panel to mount the new gauges where the radio is now.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
That's a pretty good idea, my oil pressure and temp gauges are simply taking up space at this point. I really need to hit the wrecking yard, get a whole dash and do a custom gauge set up. The new gauges with LED back lighting are so nice.;Sweet

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It just makes good sense to have individual gauges for each tank, instead of having to rely on the temperamental tank-selector switch to know where each tank stands.

A second-best alternative, and the way I have my factory fuel-gauge, is to eliminate the gauge circuit from the FSV (fuel selector valve) and route the THREE wires through a SPDT switch, with the wire that feeds the dash-gauge being on the center terminal and the tank wires being on the other two terminals.

I have a separate independent SunPro gauge for the big auxilliary tank.

Considering the notoriously poor reliability of the factory sending-units, were I going to install separate after-market gauges anyway, instead of worrying with finding gauges compatible with the crappy factory senders, I would replace the factory senders with standard universal SunPro senders and their matching gauges.

Thus, in the highly un-likely event that one of these SunPro senders were to fail, a very affordable replacement can be had from just about any auto-parts source.

A little bit of quality time spent in hanging and adjusting the float-arm will yield a fuel-level measuring system far more accurate than anything available from Ford.