DTA 360 needs more power! help?

johndear720

Reaction score
I just purchased a "junk" 92 4700 with a DTA 360 and 6 + 1 tranny. I mostly wanted it for parts to turn my S 1800 4 door into a "newer" model truck with a DTA 466 instead of the huge gas moster. The motor has water in the oil so more than likely has a liner rotted through. I actually purchased the truck with the understanding it was a 466. Disappointed to find the 360 but the price was still right. Is it possible to get 900 to 1000 ft lbs out of the 360? Would be easy with a 466. Does the 360 and 466 share any common parts? Are the motors different lengths? I assume they are probably different blocks and not just a crank and piston change. Will all the accessories from the 360 fit a 466? Different flywheel? I can probably acquire a 466 from a dead school bus but it would certainly be missing the correct flywheel. At least the truck had the "right" transmission and AC! Long story short, is the 360 worth messing with or should I bite the bullet and find a rebuildable 466?

Thanks,

Haulinhazmat

Reaction score
Another Horse or 2

:dunno I just purchased a school bus with a dta 360 for parts. I have no use for the 360 as I have a DT466 in my S1900 4-door. I hope some knowledgeable person will answer your questions as I need more horses in mine.

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
This question was also posted on another forum, and answered pretty well.

See my sig. below for your simple fuel rate adjustment on the 466.

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
:dunno I just purchased a school bus with a dta 360 for parts. I have no use for the 360 as I have a DT466 in my S1900 4-door. I hope some knowledgeable person will answer your questions as I need more horses in mine.
Does this mean there's going to be a 360 for sale soon? I may know of someone that might want it.

johndear720

Reaction score
Nevrenufhp, drop me an email. I have a DTA 466 on the way to "tune up" for my 4700. I just drug the truck in the shop today. Plan to drop the pan on the 360 tomorrow after church to see if it is a liner or O-ring leaking. The motor will be for sale most any day. If it isn't a liner and turns out to be an O-ring I will probably go ahead and fix the motor first. Depending on what kind of deal the fellow is looking for I might be able to fix him up. The motor will be complete from fan to flywheel.

Checked the motor out. Number 1 and number 2 liner O-rings are leaking. In the process of removing the motor. It is officially "for sale". The motor is located in the panhandle of FL.

[email protected]

Last edited:

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
Check the oil cooler before assuming a pin hole in a liner. At work we had this problem recently. We are going to junk out several ford and Intl busses I think will entertain offers for anyone who will come get em for parts.

johndear720

Reaction score
Dropped the pan it is the number 1 and number 2 liners. However, it looks like it may just be O-rings. At any rate, I have a DT 466 on the shop floor and as soon as I rebuild the engine crane JACK I'll finish removing the 360 and install the 466.

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. You going to rebuild the 360, and the 466 is ready to go in? Put that 360 in a pickup & go hunting down some Dodge/Cummins boys.

johndear720

Reaction score
Someone else needs to own that 360. I am going to remove the pieces I need and the rest is for sale.

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
FYI on anyone thinking of a swap, the DT360 is only an inch longer than a Cummins 6BT(12 valve), and a half inch taller. Great alternative, the same pump mods apply to the 360, and is more durable(lasts longer with high hp). Quick bolt up to a heavy duty trans... someone needs to build a DT360 pickup. The 360 is usually non-desirable in a med duty truck when compared to a DT466, so that keeps the prices down to very affordable.

johndear720

Reaction score
This one will be afordable! I am going to have to rob a few bolt ons to make the 466 swap but it can certainly be had for less than a $1000. From what the folks at Shiver Diesel tell me the 360 is a stronger motor than the Cummins. 3500 RPM isn't out of the question and they will live all day at 3,000. A larger turbo, after cooler, cutting the nozzles and working over the pump can be had for around $2K and would net 1000 Ft. lbs. It would make a mean pickup. I decided to go the 466 route since I wanted 1200 + ft. lbs. and the extra 100 cubic inches help get there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US