DT466

redneck pride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a DT466 out of a 92 international beer truck, anybody know how to turn em up and get some good power out of these engines looks like it has p-pump on it, im planning on stuffing it into my 73 chev and would like to get a bit more power out of it. Are there bigger injectors abaivable for these engines? How about a turbo, would the stocker be fine or should i upgrade, its got a 6 SPEED behind it now and thats wat i was planning on using in the truck so tranny shouldnt be an issue seeing on how its going from a 15000 lb truck to a 5000 lb truck any help would be appreciated.

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
You would get a better response in the Med Duty section.
Basically, there's a limit to the power you can make, it's called your wallet. But, ya, bigger injectors, bigger pump parts, all that stuff is available new from Hypermax. They even make roller rockers. Being a 92, it should have an MW pump, not a P-pump. Very similar to the P-pump, but a few differences. Mainly it's the AFC is straight off the back of the pump
You must be registered for see images attach

redneck pride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im planning on puting the 383 in a little firebird. I checked out hypermax on the internet and didnt find anything except for a module for a newer 466, but i emailed them and asked for some info. Do you know how many turns i go on the fuel screw and the star wheel? Thanks for the info

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
They dont have anything listed online. You did good by emailing, because you will likely get a reply from Max himself.
Go roughly 10 turns out on the fuel screw. Then test drive it. After that, adjust the star wheel if it's not puking out black smoke. Just play around with it til you get it where you like it. It will wake up a little more if you tighten the gov springs and advance the timing to about 19*. Dont worry about hurting anything, sled puller guys spin these same engines to 4500rpm on the stock internals.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also check out Gene's Machince Shop. They were great on the phone and are priced much better than Hypermax. I keep getting, "you'll want a P-Pump instead of that MW" from Columbus Diesel and Schied Diesel. I'm not sure why though. The MW looks really close to the P-pump externally. The best answer I could get was that the P-pump was easier to modify and more reliable.

Heath

Last edited:

redneck pride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help fella's I really appreciate it i'll keep ya's posted on the project, should be stuffing it into my chev.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep us posted for sure. I'm going to try and stuff mine into the '86 F250 in my signature.

Any idea what you will use for a tranny, t-case, and axles? I'm still not sure about what manual tranny will hold up to the torque I'm hoping to put out of the DT, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to run built Dana 80's for axles.

Anyway, here's mine.
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Heath

redneck pride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks about like mine! Im gona use the 6 speed thats behind it right now and I have a twin stick divorced transfer case that i think is out of an old ford one ton, its flipn huge so i think it will work got it in my mud truck right now but that project is on hold for a while
as for axles im gona leave the little half tons in there until they break, they are well built right now but i got an 80 rear and a closed nuckle sixty sittin on the back burner that ill drop in there someday

redneck pride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats good you'll have to let me know what you have to do to get that kind of hp out it. Maybe i'll take mine that high to, but for now I just got get er in there and get all the bugs worked out

lazermule

Reaction score
How is this progressing

I was reading this thread and was wondering how the DT466 into the chev is going? Is it in there there? Pictures? Sounds pretty cool....
;Sweet

LM

redneck pride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I aint got it in there yet that project got put on hold for a while I had to go back to work down in florida on the pipeline, but get back at er when I get back this fall

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online