Driveshaft play

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I noticed mine does it a lot (to Me) and I think that may be the cause of vibration I have on the shifter some times. It is minimal but I'd like to address this, so anyting I can do to reduce or eliminate the play?

Thank You.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ez, where do you see the play? U-joints and splines are the only places it can come from.

krawlr

Yup, that's me
Reaction score
I just replaced the output yoke on my ZF5. You could move the u-joint side to side in the yoke about 1/8" or more. Originally bought a u-joint to fix it but realized that wasn't going to help when I got the driveshaft unbolted. :mad: That nut on the transmission called for 185ftlbs of torque :eek: made things interesting.

Just another possibility to check.

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
If the play you are looking at is the rotation of the pinion yoke into the differential that may not be abnormal. There is clearance between the ring and pinion gears, the spider gears in the differential don't fit particularly tight and the axle splines are not a very tight fit in the axle gears.

Jim

dbarilow

over worked
Reaction score
I also have a vibration at at speed and goes away when you let off of the accelerator or put in in neutral. I have been thinking it was the u-joints and am planning to replace.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
If the play you are looking at is the rotation of the pinion yoke into the differential that may not be abnormal. There is clearance between the ring and pinion gears, the spider gears in the differential don't fit particularly tight and the axle splines are not a very tight fit in the axle gears.

Jim

I think this is what I feel when I twist the driveshaft one way and the other. I did the same on a f550 and it was nothing like it but mine does move clock and counterclockwise when I twist it. I do not think it is the U joints bc they are tight, how do I know? btw there is a rubber bushing in the middle (half) of the driveshaft that I can't find on the parts list, is one that has a u joint holding the diveshaft to prevent it from droping on the ground since I have a crew cab. What is the name for that one so I can order it?

Thank You.

gunnie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you might also check the output yoke from the tranmission, i thought i had a bad u joint pulled the driveshaft today and found i need a new yoke, the caps would slide side to side and actually spin inside. 65 bucks for the yoke and a new u joint i'm all set again

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
If you pull the metal outer piece that the two bolts go through off of the rubber part you can then pry the rubber part off of the bearing. It is not readily visible but it is in there.

Jim

Exekiel69

Reaction score
If you pull the metal outer piece that the two bolts go through off of the rubber part you can then pry the rubber part off of the bearing. It is not readily visible but it is in there.

Jim

Thank You, I will order one first and then replace it.

btw Gunnie, what is the part # for that yoke?

Thank You.