Does filtering WMO for fuel remove the soot?

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
It's obvious that stock diesel oil filters don't catch soot. For those of you who filter WMO for fuel, is your final product translucent and soot free? If you are filtering it until clear, how fine a filter is needed? Or in another words how small in microns is diesel soot?

Last edited:

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I can tell you this much. I use a sock filter rateed at 1 micron absolute, and afterwards the oil is still dark enough that when I mix it 5% filtered oil with 95% D2 it still comes out a really dark gray - almost black.

So, based on that you need to go below 1 micron - maybe .5 micron or .1 micron. The trouble is when the filter is that fine, the oil flows through it very VERY S-L-O-W-L-Y...

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the only way to get the soot out would be with a centrifuge. If I had the money to buy all the stuff needed for that I would be happy just buying diesel. When I use oil in my fuel I change the fuel filter every 3000miles or so.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
no comes out the filters black as it went in

SHIP4BRAINS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ebay has some half micron sock filters listed. they are SPENDY! I may get a couple.....but it won't take the soot out either

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what is the auction number for the .5 micron filters? I have not been able to find any lower than one.

sassyrel

Reaction score
SUPPOSEDLY-----1 micron is the answer to get the carbon soot out--amsoil says if you use their 1 micron filter on your vehicle--it will take the soot out----the restrictor in the incoming pressure line to the filter is .090--so the oil is flowing slow enough--havent tried it yet-sooooooooo---------------------theres 1 micron, and 1 micron absolute--absolute means nothing over 1 micron makes it thru--not allll ratings are the same---

Last edited:

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the sock filters I would think they are not entirely correct on micron ratings. I filter down to one micron gravity feed and its still black as can be. If I had a engine that would burn at least 50% oil I would buy a centrifuge. My 3.9 and 5.9 does not do well over 20%-25% oil in tank even with the heat. I would think any IDI engine would do at least 50% to 75% easily heated.

shorthair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greg you don't need to heat WMO for an IDI for about 4 years I ran up to 90% WMO/Dino in mine cut it back to 50/50 in the winter 2 micron filter on a 1 hour cycle.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online