does anyone run a gallons per hour gauge?

octopus

Reaction score
if yes, where did you get it? i did a little searching and only found REALLY expensive boat stuff, like $500 to $1200 expensive.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
gallons burned per hour?
that's info I prefer to remain blissfully unaware of:eek::D
i do have a hobbs/hourmeter to monitor my idle times.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
You think boat stuff is bad, start looking at FAA approved gauges.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I thought about that as well.

Unfortunatly, you would need 2 of them. Which doubles the cost.

1 you would have on the lift pump side of the injection system, and the other would be on the return lines. You would then have to subtract when you were looking at your gauges to figure out how much fuel you were burning.

octopus

Reaction score
hmmm, i saw 1 for a gas chevy truck in a gauge cluster, but it looked kind of crappy. it only had 5 gallon increments. i think a digital gauge would be nice.
i think it would be good to know how much diesel u burn/use if you're out camping or need to idle the truck for long periods of time.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
I thought about that as well.

Unfortunatly, you would need 2 of them. Which doubles the cost.

1 you would have on the lift pump side of the injection system, and the other would be on the return lines. You would then have to subtract when you were looking at your gauges to figure out how much fuel you were burning.

Some of them do the math for you.

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of them do the math for you.

The marine ones do the math for you.....and yes Towcat... we do fuel by the hour.

They are expensive calculators, but boy are they accurate.

You only need one system. The metering devices are installed after the FSV and at the return line.

They also have a total gallons burned, resetable like an ODO, or you can keep the total burn going, for like a real long trip.

Also, you can rig a system to read two systems with a switch and single gauge. Just have to install a second transducer pair if you want to separate out the tanks v. total burn. Also, also, many of these systems will give you appx. range to go calcs based on fuel consumption and tankage.

I know, not more complicated than a $30.00 HP, but, their value is knowing how far we can go offshore and make it back safely.

Depending on the model purchased, depends on how much calculatin' you want it to do.

But yeah, I agree.... even at $500.00, it's a bit steep, especially when we can buy aftermarket tranny controllers, which does far more than just reading, for $400.00.

Oh! And they come with a SPEC/DATA sheet in case you find a pump willing to cooperate with it! :rotflmao

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do you mean gallons per min?;Really

Sure, if you have a pair of 525's lined up and only expect a short run at WOT.

I do mean hours. ;Really

Usually, we are underway for hours at a time. We need to know long term burn, not immediate burn.

Just divide by 60 and it'll awl be kewl. ;Sweet