Dodge Auto '?'

Reaction score
I am looking at a 91 4x2 dodge automatic. The guy says the the truck needs to warm up before it will move/transmission will engage. He says it doesn't bother him because he has had 2 other trucks that have done the same thing, and they all seem to work fine when the truck is warmed up a bit.

I was thinking since he has had a few with the same problem, that maybe it is a sensor or at lerast something you all here would have some input on.

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
I dont care what anyone says, we call that morning sickness and it almost always comes rite before total death.
Ken

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont care what anyone says, we call that morning sickness and it almost always comes rite before total death.
Ken

Which will be the birth of your new tranny.

Dodge automatics ain't exactly known for their reliability and toughness, especially behind a Cummins.

This is a buyer beware situation, this guy either works the chit out of his trannies, doesn't take care of his stuff, buys junk and sells them just before they won't move at all or all of the above.

Plan on buying a new tranny very soon if you buy it and price that into your offer. He's hoping you'll overlook his line of BS at his price and buy into it.
LOL:rotflmao

Reaction score
Thanks for the re assurance, that is kind of what I thought the answer would be. While I prefer a 4x4, this is a good looking truck, and I coud always either make it a 4x4 later or more likely transplant the engine into something decent.

Here is a pic

You must be registered for see images

It is a trade type deal and I figure that would put me into it about $2k

redneck pride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the fluid doesnt start moving in a 727 until u put it in gear,it wont flow if it is in park. if you puter in neutral it will be fine in a few minutes, most likley your valve body is geting wore out or a bad torque converter

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My cousin's 93 W250 4x4 did that since new in the cold (and I mean COLD) weather and there has never been an issue with that thing. He tows year around as well, with nary a problem. I guess I don't know what to say other than Dodge autos just don't like cold. At least the 86 150 my dad has with a 360 and auto is similar and it is a hard working plow truck. Again, never any problems with the tranny.