Do they make one of these for our application? BioD/ Fuel filter related

Camarogenius

Reaction score
I run Bio Diesel whenever I can find it. So, I keep a fuel filter and a strap wrench behind the seat at all times. Problem, how do you prime the filter without carrying a quart of fuel as well?
On bigger diesels, Mainly on Cats, and some Cummins, There is a device on the fuel filter housings, that has a small hand pump for priming the new fuel filter. It kind of resembles the pumps on the old Coleman lanterns and stoves.
Has anyone seen one of these?

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
Well, caterpillar sells the priming pumps, but the are designed to bolt onto a specific application. Other styles I have seen are integral. The duramax has a primer on it for filter changes, maybe get one off a wrecker. They are kind of a pain to use though. Your best option would be a decent electric fuel pump. Put it on the frame rail. You don't really have to use it other than to prime BUT if your mechanical pump were to leak internally, could be bad news quick just for the short time it takes to prime.
James

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, Racor, Bendix etc make fuel filters that have a built in hand primer pump.

Here's a site for some refference & more specs http://www.turboformance.co.za/racorspin3.htm

Racor model numbers specificly for diesels in our size range

445 - 45 Gallons per hour max
460 - 60 gallons per hourmax
490 - 90 Gallons per hour max
4120 - 120 Gallons per hour max

Hope this helps. Good luck

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
tonkadoctor said:
voila, self priming system so you don't have to get a tricep workout:thumbsup:

No kidding! ever try to hand prime a big Cat with one of those things -cuss

Go electric.

---------Robert

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
Camarogenius said:
I run Bio Diesel whenever I can find it. So, I keep a fuel filter and a strap wrench behind the seat at all times. Problem, how do you prime the filter without carrying a quart of fuel as well?
On bigger diesels, Mainly on Cats, and some Cummins, There is a device on the fuel filter housings, that has a small hand pump for priming the new fuel filter. It kind of resembles the pumps on the old Coleman lanterns and stoves.
Has anyone seen one of these?

If you get the filter for the 7.3L it has a water bowl on the bottom with a drain. When I replace my filter I usually dont fill the filter. I just open the water drain and crank the truck over till she fires then keep in the pedal so she stays running.
I am not positive that the 7.3 filter will screw right on the older trucks, and you would also have to buy the water bowl that screws on the bottom of the filter as it is not sold with the filter.

Camarogenius

Reaction score
Yeah, Mine has the water separator at the bottom.
I don't know why, but I'm not a fan of electric fuel pumps, of course I'm not a fan of ford mechanical pumps either. I had one go out on a 79 bronco, and filled the engine with gas.
I Guess I'll look into a Holley Red.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No kidding! ever try to hand prime a big Cat with one of those things

Many times and it's really fun when your rig breaks down in the middle of BF nowhere Montana because of a faulty seal on the filter and its -30F

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.