Do I need a new Injection pump?

Johnboy

Johnboy
Reaction score
So I'm having fuel issues. My engine is turning over great and my fuel filter is full of fuel. I have an electric fuel pump and I can turn it on and open the schraeder valve and fuel comes pouring out. It started up and drove fine and then died on me mid driving. The engine turns over really strong and not even a hint of fuel getting to the engine. After sitting for a couple of hours and repriming the fuel system with the electric fuel pump, it will start back up and drive for a few miles before it stops getting fuel and dies again.

Someone please tell me I don't need a new fuel injection pump. I've had the van since 120,000 and now it has 180,000 and I've not yet replaced the FIP yet.

Any sugguestions?:dunno

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
From your description I'm not really able to say its fuel starved or an electrical issue. One thing I see in your posting is the two differant lift pumps. We normally don't recommend the use of two pumps. If the mechanicl lift pump fails it can cause the fuel to enter the oil pan by a ruptured diaphram. Trying to push fuel thru the lift pump by the electric pump can cause this type of failure. Sucking fuel thru a not operating electric pump can starve the engine too. Any chance the electric pump has a filter screen in it thats patly plugged up... Has anyone worked on the injection pump. If so maybe they switched the wires on the top of it. Now as you tell us the engine runs and then shuts down. That sounds like the advance wire got crossed to the fuel shtof solenoid on the injection pump. These wire connections are differant so we usually can't mix them up but without actually seeing or knowing if anyone has been under the hood lately. Also you can check the function of the fuel shutoff solenoid by turning the key on but engine off and removeing the wire thats at the radiator side of the injection pump. Thats the big connecter thats closest to the front of the engine or radiator. You can hear and feel a click if it working. They do go bad but its not a normal repair part. Hope this sends you in the right direction..

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
if you need an injection pump, check the spokane craigslist. there is a used one in Priest River, ID for like $100 or so.

Johnboy

Johnboy
Reaction score
I took out the mechanical fuel pump and put a plate and gasket over the hole. I thought my mechanical pump went bad, and it was too cold(-40) to put a new one in. I tried. So I put in an electric pump and it has worked well since thanksgiving. Also no one has been under the hood of my van, except for me for quite some time. Good sugguestions though. I'll have to check that wire on the pump.

As for the pump in Idaho. I actually moved to Alaska in June and haven't gotten around to changing my location on the site. Thanks though Simp. A little to far to drive.

As for an update, the van is not starting at all now. Full fuel filter. With the electric pump on fuel is coming out of the shraeder valve. Just cranks real strong but not a hint of firing.:dunno

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
When its cranking are you able to see any smoke coming out the tail pipe. If its white smoke that means the glow plugs are not functioning. That could be the engine main wireing harness plug has some burns on it or its corrosion. Check the two yellow wires in the plug. Those two wires feed power to the plug controller. Most here will run a 4 or 6 gauge wire directly to the controller because so much heat is developed in that tiny electrical plug.

DragRag

Reaction score
Sounds like you have a bad injection pump to me. When it dies, throw some cold water on it, and I will likely restart. Pretty sure you do have a bad injection pump though by your description.

Johnboy

Johnboy
Reaction score
Thanks fellas. Looks like I need to check some wiring and look for some white smoke.

In the meantime, anyone have any good recommendations on a good injection pump for running waste oils? Just curious how much money I should ask the bank to loan me.:D I'm kinda thinkin about a moose pump.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radeon1314

Members online