Dixco tach wiring for 84 f250?

Lambertj01

Reaction score
I have an 84 f250 6.9l IdI truck that came with a dixco diesel tach bolted to the dash. Unfortunately, the tach had been disconnected by a previous owner, and I have no idea what it connects to or if I need any additional parts to make it work. Does anyone have the wiring diagram that came with one of these, or know how to hook it up?

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the old Dixco tachs used a pickup on the alternator output wire...

My granddad had one in his shop, was on an old Farmall tractor at one point.

Can you take some pictures of it, someone on here might have a better idea of what the thing is with pictures... :dunno

Wish I had kept all the stuff from his shop.... :rolleyes:

Lambertj01

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Here's a picture of the Tach in question, after I pulled it off the dashboard to do some interior work. when I removed it, none of the wires pictured were connected to anything, and I haven't been able to find a pickup on the alternator wire, or anything it connects to, but my wiring is so hacked up that I'm not totally sure what is what. -cuss

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't see the picture. I could probably tell you how to wire the tach if i could see the picture.

Dave

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I wonder if one could wire a factory tach sensor to power that thing or something similar.... anyone ever try?

Lambertj01

Reaction score
tach pic... take 2

You must be registered for see images attach

Dave, here's the picture. I must have uploaded it wrong the first time...

Lambertj01

Reaction score
I have a factory tach sensor, but from what I've heard, they aren't compatible with tachs that use an induction type pickup. The eventual plan is to install a factory tach into my dash, but they're really hard to find for the 83-86 IDI's. I figure this dixco would be a good temporary fix, since I already have it.

Anybody know if a tach from a f500 to 800 truck would work? the dash and instruments are the same as in bullnose trucks, the only issue I can think of is that the calibration may be different since those trucks use a 6BT of some type. (The ones we have at work do, anyway.)

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reason it's not hooked up is because that tach is for a gasser. Does it have three resistors Red-Blue-Green on the back of it? They are for 4-6-8 cyl engines.

Black--------B- or Grd.
Red---------B+ fused.
Yellow------Dash lights
Green------Gasser ignition coil B+ terminal.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
The reason it's not hooked up is because that tach is for a gasser. Does it have three resistors Red-Blue-Green on the back of it? They are for 4-6-8 cyl engines.

Black--------B- or Grd.
Red---------B+ fused.
Yellow------Dash lights
Green------Gasser ignition coil B+ terminal.

It says Diesel on it.... :dunno

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are there a bunch of dip switches on the back of the tach? They might be under a small cover or you might have to remove the tach from the mounting cup to access the dip swithes. Let me know what oyu fine.

Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes