Discovery S/T Maxx 255/85r16, and Concentric Dually Spacers

79GLIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did some searching on this forum and online regarding concentric spacers. I understand the pros/cons and risk/benefits of using spacers between wheels to provide sidewall clearance for the wider tires. I'm not looking to reignite a debate regarding bearing wear concerns, load bearing ability when running spacers, lug stud shear, and such. I'd like to hear of individual experiences with specific brands, and recommendations to help guide my purchase of concentric spacers. TIA

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Srw conversion would be the right way to fit larger tires. I’ve never run spacers on my trucks so I can’t help you with what brand, but I’d stay away from aluminum and or Chinese spacers in general.

79GLIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's the background: It's a SRW Crew Cab 4WD converted to DRW by Centurion when new. Of course Centurion destroyed the box sides during the conversion process. I'm not interested in messing around with sourcing and putting a SRW box back on it. Technically, it doesn't have the dually rear end, but I'm not concerned about that because I'm not intending to pull 20,000lbs. Kind of convoluted, for sure.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So if it’s a srw, converted to dual rw. And then you want to put a spacer between the rims to run bigger tires. That’s a spacer on a spacer. That has bad idea written all over it to me.

79GLIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not exactly. I'm also putting a dually rearend out of an '88 under the truck. Sorry, I failed to add that point. Again, I'm looking for results users have had with spacers, not advice on whether it's a good idea or not.

79GLIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. NOTHING newer than 1990. I don't have a Powerstroke. No Cummins. I don't acknowledge Duramax, blasphemy! I joined this forum over 10 years ago. Seemed like a legit inquiry.

Pork_Chop50

He looks kinda hairy and slobbery to me....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a few friends that run duallys and they've had luck with spacers, but typically a 255 will squeeze togther without it. If you've already attempted to get them to not rub, the other solution is finding a different dish wheel. We have a '91 Dodge running 255/85r16 BFG KM2 without a spacer on 5.35" backspacking. So in conclusion, a spacer will work but ideally you shouldn't need it with 255's.

79GLIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'll have to check the backspacing on my wheels. I didn't expect to have spacing issues with the 255's, so I didn't measure backspacing in advance. The sidewalls do touch, prompting my initial question. Honestly, I don't know if the bud wheels Centurion used shared the same backspacing found on the OE Ford dually wheels at the time. I have the OE dually bud wheels on the '88 to measure against.

Pork_Chop50

He looks kinda hairy and slobbery to me....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When we were dually tire shopping and comparing wheels, it seems that Ford used either 5.15" or 5.35" backspacing on the steel wheels. The aluminum Alcoa's are 5.40".

79GLIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing those numbers with me Pork_Chop50. We shall see how this goes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online