dim & bright headlights on at same time?

cdennyb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Asmost of you already know, the headlights on these dodge trucks suck. Not that they aren't bright, just that you loose the dim beams when you switch on the high ones!

I see in a few catalogs that there's a adapter called a "brite box" or something along that line, that allows the headlights to be on at the same time, giving you lots of light which is what you wanted in the first place when you turned on the high beams, right!?cookoo

So, I take a long look at the wiring schematic for the ol' truck and figured, "Hey, why not just throw a diode in there between the high beam pin and the low beam pin?"
When the lows are on, current won't flow to the high beams, and when the high beams are on, the current WILL flow to the low ones, thereby making ALL the lights come on.

Am I missing something? I can get a couple of diodes and some wiring (or get the plugs for the headlight connection if I want to get really fancy) for a lot less than I can buy one of those "Brite box" items for! They want something like $150-200 for one! That's crazy.
I bet if you took one apart, that's what you'd find. A pair of diodes ($20.worth) and a couple of connectors in a cute little epoxy box.

Anyone have an idea on this or can give me any reasons why it wouldn't work?

Thanks guys.:thumbsup:

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
I know on the Fords it's a matter of too much current thru the switch...meltdown. Not sure on the Dodges though.

John

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Also on the Fords running both inside a plastic housing (like my 87) is an issue. Personally, I would use a set of relays, you could then toggle them on as you wanted and it would unload the switch. As a test, I did that on an old headlight from my 87 though (I put new headlights in it after it had a bad experience in the ice with a mailbox), where they are both in the same housing, it got so hot on top that you couldn't keep your hand on it. Our bulbs (9004) also don't like it and will not last long with both filaments on but as long as the housings are separate low and high beams, shouldn't be a problem. I did it on my 94 Chevy. JCWhitney sells a kit to run high/low at the same time on a Chevy, would probably work on a Dodge as well. It is just a relay kit though.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never noticed a problem with the brightness... guess I'll have to check into it.

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
too much current will melt wires on these trucks....get some silverstar bulbs and call it good.