Differantial Oil Questions

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have around 200,000 miles on my gear oil and want to upgrade to syntheic oil. Which oil would be recommended here...

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
What are you using the truck for primarily? Are you going to be using it for the primary hauler or is it mostly the daily driver with occasional hauling?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Not a daily driver but I do haul heavy and fast sometimes. The Accord gets 30 mpg and the truck gets 19 mpg. The Honda is cheaper to drive but not a fun driver being so close to the ground and semi tires.:eek:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Not a daily driver but I do haul heavy and fast sometimes. The Accord gets 30 mpg and the truck gets 19 mpg. The Honda is cheaper to drive but not a fun driver being so close to the ground and semi tires.:eek:

I would normally recommend the Amsoil 75w90 Severe Gear ( that's what I run ) but considering your climate and those killer mountains on every side and the precious cargo you like to haul, the 75w110 severe gear might be a better choice for your truck for a little added protection ( make that overkill :D.

DragRag

Reaction score
Every time I have tried to use an synthetics on any vehicle with mileage on it I sprout leaks. I have given up on synthetics all together due to there costs, with no real advantages, and the fact that anything I put it in develops a leak.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
On the contrary, I have converted many vehicles to synthetic with no leak issues. My truck had 136,000 on it when I got it and I immediately switched everything but the engine to synthetic. I run Royal Purple in mine cause it's readily available. Have no problem with Amsoil either, sold it and ran it for years, but no one around here seems to stock it, and if they do, it's double everything else.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Every time I have tried to use an synthetics on any vehicle with mileage on it I sprout leaks. I have given up on synthetics all together due to there costs, with no real advantages, and the fact that anything I put it in develops a leak.

For diffs , trannys , and transfer cases, I recommend the same thing as for engines. Before doing the switch, run a treatment of Auto RX. It will revive the old seals and prepare them to where they won't gush the synthetic out all over the place . For diffs, you put 2 oz of the stuff in per qt of oil and run it for 1000 miles, then drain it and do the change. That stuff is VERY effective. if it doesn't do the job, your seals were on their way out anyway.

DragRag

Reaction score
For diffs , trannys , and transfer cases, I recommend the same thing as for engines. Before doing the switch, run a treatment of Auto RX. It will revive the old seals and prepare them to where they won't gush the synthetic out all over the place . For diffs, you put 2 oz of the stuff in per qt of oil and run it for 1000 miles, then drain it and do the change. That stuff is VERY effective. if it doesn't do the job, your seals were on their way out anyway.

Food for thought....

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the contrary, I have converted many vehicles to synthetic with no leak issues. My truck had 136,000 on it when I got it and I immediately switched everything but the engine to synthetic. I run Royal Purple in mine cause it's readily available. Have no problem with Amsoil either, sold it and ran it for years, but no one around here seems to stock it, and if they do, it's double everything else.
dang, 30 for a bottle of gear oil?? Too bad I can't get one of those oil filters for my truck though

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
dang, 30 for a bottle of gear oil?? Too bad I can't get one of those oil filters for my truck though

Not sure where you are buying it at, but I'm buying RP Gear Oil for about $7 per quart, that's $21 per axle or so. Not sure on the filter you speak of.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My thinking about changing the gear oil to synthetic is too gain some mileage. I get between 18 to just short of 20 mpg running 75 to 85 mph and in double overdrive at 1700 rpm... I know I could get better miles per gallon if I slowed down but... Thats just not fun...:sly

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
My thinking about changing the gear oil to synthetic is too gain some mileage. I get between 18 to just short of 20 mpg running 75 to 85 mph and in double overdrive at 1700 rpm... I know I could get better miles per gallon if I slowed down but... Thats just not fun...:sly

Can't help you with that. I've never really measured the MPG on mine, just drive it occaisionally, but can tell you out on the road, it's prolly less than half what you are getting! :) Straight 1:1 and 4.10's don't do much for mileage no matter what you have for lube! I can tell you my tranny seems to shift much smoother as well. I started running synthetics after doing to maintenence on LEO vehicles at the machine shop. Several branches spec synthetic and after many hard miles, the inside of the engine looked and measured like new. So for those that say there is no advantage, they should look at the internals after using it. Mileage was just an additional benefit to me in mine.

dave186

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just changed my diff oil the other day and put plain ol 80w90 in it. should I have used something else? my truck is always loaded, weighs over 8000 everyday and do quite a bit of freeway cruising with the occasional trailer behind. I should say the main reason for the 80w90 is I had a 5 gal bucket of it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online