Diesel World mag ...just read write up

88IDImattman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
great write up an press .....super good press for Moose had a friend call me to ask if i had heard of you cuzz he knew i have an IDI great pics too

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Great to see the forum and Mel getting some well deserved press. That will wake up those out there that know anything about these easy and inexpensive rigs to drive on a budget. My one wish is to see someone casting a block for the 7.3 idi engine thats better than what international did. Just about every other big three has had some after market company develope a better block. Look at what chevy has gotten for the smal and big blocks. So many choices to create a good build platform from. All we need is just one small company somewhere on the planet to do this... I wonder what caused the 7.3 heads to be cast offshore. I also wonder why there is no 6.9 offshore heads being made too. I know a 7.3 head fits fine on a 6.9. Just have to remove 4 freeze plugs in the 7.3 heads to make it work. Really don't have to do that but why not get all the cooling thru the heads. For an unknown reason all 7.3 blocks and heads have the front and rear lower coolant passages plugged off but all 6.9 engines have these passages open... Wonder why thats the way it is.. I'm still thinking its for the better heating to the immissions are lower on the 7.3 engines because they came out later when the standards for pollution were higher...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My thought on the plugged coolant passages was an additional effort to cure the external coolant leak so many 6.9's would experience (resulting in numerous head gasket changes over the years), but the emissions idea is plausible. It's also the reason in my opinion that so many 7.3's have overheating issues.

Thanks for approving of the write up in the article. Jim did a great job, and I know every truck there was worthy of coverage in my opinion, but we all know they can't do an all IDI issue. My hope is that everyone gets a turn eventually. I've waited 30 years for my turn. It seems only fair to me that I got my limelight finally. I'm thankful that so many other trucks got at least a mention. I'm hoping that some of you will write the magazine and compliment them on this coverage. Doing so may encourage them to do this kind of thing more often, giving more of you a chance. I've subscribed for the year, so I can watch the readers comments if nothing else.

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Great idea Mel. Talk in the positive is as strong as the negative. I have always subscribed to the thought that the squeaky wheel gets the oil.. Or in some instances it gets replaced.....:eek: Stand up and be counted as supporting something you believe in means a lot to me. I never did enjoy riding the bench. Those of this forum choose to drive what we drive and for good reasons. I find the style and simplisity the common facters. Parts availibility and the help offered here any day or any time is also a reason for driving what I do. I reciently joined a Honda Accord forum. Its been several months and I still have no information on my TSP problem. Seems I have the only throttle body with the non replaceable TPS. Honda wants over $700.00 for that throttle body too. a good friend and member here can get it for me for $245.00.. I appreiciate that too but just an answer is all I wanted about possiblitys of this being replaceable. I feel it is and the factory broken off screw heads can have a file taken to them to cut a standard blade screwdriver slot so as to remove them. So for me this is the place to learn and help many others as I have been helped in the past. Going forwards is what makes this forum last. Are we as a collective better than the rest... Probably but thats not the point. We help others here without calling them out for asking a question we have answered many times before. This never gets old for me... Ever...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online