Diesel/Water seperator?

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How important is this thing? Story.... My truck was running a little off, turned out to be some funky fuel, Or probably some diesel with extra water LOL I was asking my buddy what he thought about it and he told me to check the seperator. I didnt know what or where it was so I followed the fuel lines and I think I found where it is supposed to be, on the firewall on the drivers side. But there is just a bypass fitting there :frustrate

Does anyone have an extra to sell or donate?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
yea apperently they are known to go out in stock form, leaking out the bottom. easy fix with a little ball valve and some clamps. you are right on the location its right on front of the driver on the firewall.

mine was disconnected on my 85 and i never bothered with it. i think it would be a good idea to have though if at all possible. apperently aftermarket ones are cheeper and better than the old stock ones, but i dont really have much personal expereiance on this.

subway

Reaction score
Looks good to me off hand some things you might want to consider
1. are the fiters redily availible
2. how much are the filters
3. what is the flow, looks plenty big for a v-8 but might be designed for the flow of a 4 cylender

and yes i would consider a fuel heater a good thing especially in the winter when diesel can gel up.

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
Uh, your going to put that in your school bus, right? :D I think you'll find that will be plenty IF you can fit it somewhere. Looks to be about 16" tall!
James

subway

Reaction score
Uh, your going to put that in your school bus, right? :D I think you'll find that will be plenty IF you can fit it somewhere. Looks to be about 16" tall!
James

wow that should be plenty big then, didnt get a good idea of size form the pics. isent 30 micorn a little high, i thought most fuel filters were in the 5 micron range.....

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figured the size from the size of the glass drain bowl on the bottom. I've never seen the actual size of a glass drain bowl vary a whole lot.

It would be worth asking the seller for actual dimensions, you knwo what they say about assuming.....

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been looking around, I think I just want to go with a stock unit so I can make my "water in fuel" light work. Whos partin one uot so I can buy? Diesel trucks are hard to come by in the junk yards around here.... prob cause they are all still running LOL

subway

Reaction score
I have been looking around, I think I just want to go with a stock unit so I can make my "water in fuel" light work. Whos partin one uot so I can buy? Diesel trucks are hard to come by in the junk yards around here.... prob cause they are all still running LOL

good luck, same story by me. mention its a diesel and the search is over at that yard.:rolleyes:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I have one. I actually completely disassembled one of the Stanadyne seperators and was going to do an article on it. I know why they leak air, and what can be done to fix them. However, it will take some inginuity to come up with a replacement part that can't be had from Stanadyne.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online