Diesel Newbie - Miss on 7.3l

Fryphax

Reaction score
My father recently picked up a 1989 F-250 with the 7.3 Diesel. He got it for a song due to there being a miss during normal running conditions. I have little experience with diesel engines so any advice on what to check in order to diagnose the miss would be greatly appreciated. It seems to be down on power compared with what I have read here also.

Thanks in advance, I can get any additional information pretty quickly.

Nick

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
welcome to the site;Sweet
First, is there any white smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe? how does the exhaust pulses feel?
second, while running, crack open each individual injector line one at a time as see if the miss changes or not.
let us know what you find.
remember a diagnosis is only as good as the info supplied.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take a look at our fuel injection servicing article in our tech library (or click the link in my sig). You can probably save yourself a lot of time by replacing those injectors.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
irst, is there any white smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe? how does the exhaust pulses feel?
second, while running, crack open each individual injector line one at a time as see if the miss changes or not.
let us know what you find.

Im having issues like this on my truck, when you say crack open do i just loosen the metal fuel line to the injector? Will that make fuel go everywhere? My exhaust is not as smooth as it was when i got the truck.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Wow a Michigan yooper. Welcome!;Sweet

Like they said, it sounds like time for some fresh injectors. Too bad yer all the way up to Marquette area otherwise I'd see about a meet to check on those injectors with a testor to see where they are at.

Has the snow melted up there yet?;Sweet

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Im having issues like this on my truck, when you say crack open do i just loosen the metal fuel line to the injector? Will that make fuel go everywhere? My exhaust is not as smooth as it was when i got the truck.

Yup, loosen them up where they meet the injector. Dont totally loosen them, just to the point where they can turn easily. Diesel will leak out, as far as I know, but it wont just pour out like crazy. At least thats how it is on our Lat 40's Cat D2 :love: , that thing is a beast ;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thamojster

Members online