Diesel in a Jeep ideas?

91F350idi

Cody S.
Reaction score
Anybody ever done or though out a plan for some kind of diesel in a Wrangler? Im tired of all the sensors and stuff acting up on my 4.0 in my 98 TJ daily driver, and Im started to think that it needs a diesel(future project). I havent done much research on smaller diesels, but first thing that comes to mind is a 4 cylinder Cummins, or some kind of Perkins(somebody told me they were pretty easy to find for cheap.) I guess the biggest issue is weight. Anybody even done anything like this or heard of it? Anybody know what a 4 cylinder Cummins weighs?

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Think 5 cylinder Mercedes out of a 300SD..... about the right size... they came with turbos and automatic transmission.. in a 4000 lb. car they got 30 MPG.... last forever [nearly].

91F350idi

Cody S.
Reaction score
Never even thought about one of those. I know a guy that has probably 20 of those cars in his yard(if those are the big boxy looking cars that
im thinkin of.). He loves them. He is originally from overseas and they swear that they are the best cars ever built. Could probably buy a good running car to pull it from and know that everything is there to run it for cheaper than paying for a cummins alone. Might start lookin into that idea. It would be a year or two til I did anything, but Id love to do something different like that with the Jeep. The fuel mileage would likely double! Good idea;Sweet

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Mercedes would be about the cheapest and more readily available, cummins is great but it will cost more. You can also get more power out of the 4bt than a mercedes ever will but depends on what You plan to do with it. There are many little diesels already in a car You can use to power a jeep or small 4wd vehicle that will save You a lot of time and money.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
One of my earliest learning-projects (I helped on a friend's - too crazy for me!) was an OLD-school Perkins ****** engine into a CJ-7 circa 1982.

Not too practical. Vibrated so seriously that it internally-tore-up several 727 Torqueflites. And the deep sump needed to be trimmed to avoid hitting the front diff. Not much acceleration, either. Sold to some guy to use on his farm in mid-eighties.

Hopefully an interesting FYI, though not helpful, I know. We now return to our regularly-scheduled board thread. ;)