DIESEL DOWN!! In Aberdeen WA

Blsford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My folks truck is stuck in Aberdeen WA after the truck grinded/knocked/ and squealed to a stop. Engine seems to be ok but transmission might be smoked

1993 f250 4x4 zf5

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If the trans locked up its probably low on fluid because of a leak but.. no matter what just drop the drive shaft and tow it home. Dropping the shaft will tell you trans or rear end fast.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Putting the transfercase in neutral will tell if it's the rear also.
I know when my trans locked up, it was hard to get into gear, and would just kill the engine when letting out the clutch.

If it's the rear, can pull the axle shafts and rear driveshaft, and should be able to make it home in 4x4.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

By the way, NEVER tow a zf trans vehicle with the drive axles on the ground, without removing driveshaft or axle shafts.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A very good point has been made about towing a ZF5 speed. Never do it unless you have the drive shafts removed. Just shifting to neutral and towing wont spread oil thru thru the trans. Its burns up the bearings plenty. We have a member that found this out by towing in neutral. A very costly experience it was.

osokusmc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A very good point has been made about towing a ZF5 speed. Never do it unless you have the drive shafts removed. Just shifting to neutral and towing wont spread oil thru thru the trans. Its burns up the bearings plenty. We have a member that found this out by towing in neutral. A very costly experience it was.

How about towing with the transmission in a high gear and the transfer case in neutral?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think the transmission will care if the transfer case is in neutral but I don't know if the tcase will like it. It has an oil pump in it too. Not sure how that works exactly. It's really just safest to drop the driveshaft if there is nothing wrong with the rearend it should be fine.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Its not that tuff a job to drop a shaft. then you have no worries bout ruining a good trans. 4 bolts or nuts and a piece of wire is all you need.