diesel down help

pauls painting

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:mad: going to work this am truck temp light comes on,then oil press. drops,now truck is on side of highway waiting for tow truck... checked all fluids before we left everything ok, had wife bring 2gal. antifreeze took all of it to fill up.could this be the big c??? thanks for any advise,will have 6.9 parts truck dropped off fri. will the flywheel from my 7.3 work on 6.9?

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did exhaust have a lot of white smoke? No brown/tan looking oil? If white smoke, Big C. Otherwise you may be looking at oil cooler leaking.

Rick

pauls painting

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:confused: no water in oil but do have a very little black spots in coolant ,so may just be head gasket? where is oil cooler at? how do i remove it? thanks for any help.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coolant in the oil is usually cavitation or a bad headgasket leak/cracked block. Oil in the coolant is almost always the oil cooler. A real bad oil cooler will cause you to overheat and the oil pressure to drop.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Havn't messed with the cooler on the IDI but the one on my IDI looks exactly like my powerstroke.

It's on the drives side under the exhaust manifold. It runs from the front of the block to the back and the oil filter screws into it's rear housing.

On the 7.3 PSD in the Superduty, to remove it you take the bolts out of the front and rear housings and try to get it out as an assembly. once out it should be 3 pieces when you take it apart, the front housing, the rear housing and the oil cooler itself which is the tube.

There is a gasket for the front housing, a gasket for the rear housing and 2 O-rings on each end of the tube.

Can't help you more than that on the IDI so hopefully somebody will chime in and correct this if there is anything special about the IDI oil cooler I don't know about.

Here's a pic showing the placement on my 7.3 powerstroke when I had it out. It's in the same place on my IDI and looks exactly the same.

Good luck
You must be registered for see images attach