Died while driving, no start.

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
I couldn't believe it. Right at a fairly busy intersection with no room to spare, my truck died. After lots of cranking it started, didn't rev well, died when I started to let the clutch out. I believe I have a hole in the front tank, healthy drip coming from it and it is not coming from the sender or dripping down any of the sides. Must be a hole on the bottom. I was trying to run it out of fuel so it would quit leaving big puddles everywhere. Maybe it's just a dead fuel pump that is a 10 minute fix. Got a new fuel filter less than a week ago. If it weren't for those 2 guys helping me push I would still be blocking half the intersection with a bunch of people honking at me.

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
Whew. I feel like I got lucky. I just ran the front tank out of fuel and the rear tank couldn't catch up until I bleed the system. I feel dumb, but relieved.

4x4manonbroke

Diesel Master
Reaction score
I had the same type of experience.... fueled up went to work ...( work for peterbuilt) got off for lunch and I'll be damned .... huge puddle of diesel under my f*^kn truck........ talk about pissed off... that was when fuel was 4.50+ a gallon.... there was 6 gallons of fuel in the tank by the time I actually got the tank off the truck.... out of 19...

I replaced the front tank with a 70 gallon aluminum side mount tanks from a box truck..... no more running outta fuel ....... recently threw in 200 bucks and drove 770 miles on the freeway ... finally had to swith to the rear tank..LOL

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
On my way home tonight it died again. This time it was the fuel pump. Keeping a spare behind the seat really paid off. I need to decide if I want to get a new front tank and probably a set of injectors. I just need to figure out if I can throw that kind of money at it. I am just running off the back tank for now.