Did the convertor lock up mod today

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
I put a 3 position switch on the dash and wired the open/closed lock up mod for the torque convertor. Works good, does the job but wont hold lock up when the od light flashes.

Which leads me to my next point, I finally figured out why my OD light flashes sometimes. My tach sometimes drops to 0 when I let off the go pedal. I am guessing the tach sensor needs replaced. When the tach drops out, the OD light starts a blinking, and if I have the convertor locked, and the OD light blinks, the convertor unlocks.

I'm pretty sure I have another tach sensor somewhere, I'll have to dig thru my parts bin.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey bud, I see you got yet another IDI! And she's a keeper, eh? lol

Yes, sounds like your tach sender is going dead, replace it as soon as possible cause the E4OD limp mode can do quite some internal damage if left unattended. What I wonder is why you lose converter lockup when she goes into limp mode, with the manual switch you're overriding the computer so the only explanation I can come up with right now is that your valve body is losing its power supply when the PCM goes all goofy and the light starts flashing angry at ya... Dunno if that's normal tho, I'd think it ain't but then again I often wonder *** were some engineers thinking back then, lol

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
Ivan, good to here from ya!

Yes, I promised my wife I'll keep this one for a good long while.....and I really love the truck too! I'm going to try to get another tach sensor asap.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeremy, how exactly did you wire up that lockup switch? I take it that by using a 3-position switch you have it where one side is manual lock, center is converter open, and the other side of the switch is automatic PCM control?

sounds like the pcm is losing power supply
I respectfully disagree - it's the PCM that forces the OD light to blink, if you're correct and the PCM did indeed lose power supply then how would it be able to operate the blinky light? His solenoid pack is definitely losing power tho... What do we know about solenoid pack power supply - does it come from the PCM, or is it key-on directly from the chassis harness?

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
Jeremy, how exactly did you wire up that lockup switch? I take it that by using a 3-position switch you have it where one side is manual lock, center is converter open, and the other side of the switch is automatic PCM control?

Yes, that is how I wired my switch.

On my way to work this morning, all was fine and my switch was working just perfect.....then it must of pissed of the pcm. I was tooling down the road with the switch in normal operation and I switched it into open/convertor unlock. The OD light started flashing, and didn't quit untill I got to work and parked the truck. Not sure what was going on there? I didn't clean the contacts of the wiring harness at the trans end this weekend, but I will soon.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aaah, so it is possible to **** off the PCM with the manual switch!!! I know Fozz and OldMisterBill had their trucks wired just like yours and never experienced any issues, but I read somewhere that the PSD trucks get mighty angry if you do that to the, so when I wired in my manual switch I made darn sure I feed the PCM a dummy signal so it still thinks the converter is doing what it's telling it to, just as a good measure. It seems that you may have to do the same now, and I have the wiring diagram for it somewhere...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Be sure to clean the three electrical connercter found just under the macter cylinder too...:sly

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online