did i buy a lemon??????

Nicp

WAR PIG
Reaction score
well my ol 6.9 locked up tight so i had to find a truck asap. my neighbor had hidden way back in his barn a 1997 k1500 2wd 6.5 turbo diesel. i gave 700 for it. top of line every nice truck will post pic later. But anyways i thew some batterys in it and bang fired right up after sitting for 5 years had 1/8 of a tank of diesel. so i drove that out toped off tank and replace fuel filter. still ran great . so on wendsday i was driving it a boom died right in middle of the road . got out a pour some water on the pdm . witch is from ss diesel its mounted on the intank . i got it going and made it home well when i got home i noticed my batterys were not charging . so i put my charger on them got them to 13.5 volts each it fired right up drove around block came home tured the truck off and when to start it again when if finally fired it reved up and died. i pulled both batterys out and charged them and got it going again it went about 3 milese and died. swo pulled them out chraged again and going to fired up and got it home. Now what is going on iam extening my pdm wiring tommarro . any other imput i got to find out whats going on asap thanks alot guys

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PMD and grounds.

SSdiesel is worthless. Remount the PMD behind the front bumper using one of the license plate bolts and order the PMD and Extension cable from an honest business man like Leroy @ LEROYDIESEL.COM. If your pmd is free reving the engine then it is already toast.

While you wait check and clean all of the grounds. If you have a ground issue the look at thetruckstop.us, they have the best GM crowd around IMHO. These trucks are very ground sensitive.

When you say you're truck wasn't charging what led you to that conclusion?

Last edited:

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
try this, get the truck running and turn on your high beams/ air conditioning/ radio/ and anything you can, then check the battery voltage with the engine running, see what the alternator is putting out voltage wise, turning on everything puts amperage load on the alternator and with out the equipment to test what the alternator is putting out amperage wise this is a easy way to see if the alternator is putting out proper amperage as well as voltage, if it wont stay running you might have a bad alternator, remember just because an alternator can put out 13 to 15 volts doesnt mean its producing enough amperage to run the vehicle, try to remember the batteries only purpose is to start the engine, if it keeps dieing then something else is wrong