destroked

BlueCrew

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used the destroked adapter plate an how did it turn out Going to put a 12V Cummins in a 94 F-250 IDI truck this winter

zukgod

Reaction score
Are you enjoying the engine in the truck? I have the IDI in my 1990 F350 and am considering going to the Cummins I have a powerstroke but am thinking of selling it and purchasing a 6bt for a much more simple engine and great tune ability.

Cablewh

Reaction score
6bt in a ford

Are you enjoying the engine in the truck? I have the IDI in my 1990 F350 and am considering going to the Cummins I have a powerstroke but am thinking of selling it and purchasing a 6bt for a much more simple engine and great tune ability.

Yes i enjoy the cummins in my ford . I have owned 2 powerstrokes before i did this transplant . There is no compareing , the pulling power of the cummins is far better .. I also like no electronics , no brain boxes , or other B. S. like that .. She is easy to work on to , pleanty of room under the hood .

aofarrell2

Turbo Desirous
Reaction score
The cummins is ALOT easier to swap than a PSD, all it needs electrically to run are the starter, intake manifold heater, and fuel shut off solenoid.

If you do decide to do the swap, use a 12 valve Cummins, not a 24 valve unless you want to swap the pumps, as the 24 valve uses a semi-electronically controlled pump.

From what I have been told, the sensors off of the IDI can be either screwed directly into the Cummins, or with the use of adapters can be made to work. This saves a lot of work on modifying the factory harness on your truck.

KRob

Reaction score
I have heard of more upset customers from FordCummins then Destroke, however on my conversion i used neither, instead i used a local guy who does it as a hobby on the side. So i have no experience with either...just from what i have read over the past few years prepping to do mine.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Holy old threads batman!

Well I'll have my hands on a destroked adapter this weekend that utilizes the 6.0l psd starter.
Gonna be stuffing a 12v in the dually this fall. :D

KRob

Reaction score
Ouch, you are right old thread.

6.0 starter.....i am using a 6.0 excursion starter on my 71 F250, and i will be installing my 4th starter on warranty here soon. OUCH. They have not been starting to spin as they go in and thus do not engage....Just FYI

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I'm not too worried about the starter as I've got a good source and rebuilder if need be. Just wasn't too keen on grinding out a good share of the bell housing to accept the dodge starter.

aofarrell2

Turbo Desirous
Reaction score
Ouch, you are right old thread.

6.0 starter.....i am using a 6.0 excursion starter on my 71 F250, and i will be installing my 4th starter on warranty here soon. OUCH. They have not been starting to spin as they go in and thus do not engage....Just FYI

Where did you get your starter and what brand reman if that is the case?

KRob

Reaction score
The first one came from the manufacture of the adapter plate and was a Rock Auto or something. It was the worse the next two have been from Napa, with a third sitting on the bench ready to go in. I have a sneaking suspicion that the factory had a bad run. At least that's what i am hoping.

The first one would try to push all the way out and then spin. Instead of pushing out and spinning at the same time.

The second one has been working intermediately with the same problem, as above.

The third didn't work, same as the first.

aofarrell2

Turbo Desirous
Reaction score
Hmm... Sounds like lemons...

Because the 6.0L starters are generally regarded as being good.

Are you sure you have a good ground for the motor? And good voltage to the solenoid?