Death Wobble

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Ok, well, as the title says, I seem to have contracted it. Haven't been under it yet, but plan to today. What should I look for? I replaced the track arm bushings with Poly ones when I put the Dana 60 under my truck. I had the truck that the axle came out of, used all the factory bracketry, and all went well, truck always drove great. Now...just all of the sudden, at around 45 MPH and going into a left turn, it about shook me out of the cab. I'll look at the track bar bushings first, and will post back, but not sure from there, I'm assuming king pin maybe?

idipwr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Axle u-joint. If you didnt replace them then that is prob what it is. Prob a dry cap.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just do a complete....front end check system by system

Springs/bushings
steering linkages
king pins/ujoints/wheel bearings
look for cracks on mounting brackets and frame where brackets/steering box attach
Loose steering box?

Sooner or later you'll find the culprit.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
New Joints installed last year with 3.73 gears. Will do it with the hubs locked or unlocked, just gotta make time to check it out. I only drive the truck once in a while, so no big hurry, just have to look through everything. Wasn't real impressed with the track bar when I changed the bushings, will have to look at it closely too. But it has several years and miles on it without an issue, this is something that just came out of nowhere!

I decided today wasn't the day to crawl under it, I spent the day at the range with my wife and daughter. Found out my wife (all 100 pounds of her for those that haven't met her) loves the big noise! I turned her loose with some wicked hot 240 grain 44 magnum loads in my 12" contender...she shot half the box! lol We ran about 500 rounds through the 10/22, about 20 through the muzzle loader, a box or two through the .410 of my daughter's and 500 or so through our AR's...beat crawling under the truck! lol Except I'm still wondering what the hell is going on!

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could also be a lose wheel bearing or out of balance tire. Heck I had a bad tie rod cause it once.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Could also be a lose wheel bearing or out of balance tire. Heck I had a bad tie rod cause it once.

Hope it is something simple...have a kind of strange feeling when turning left, not sure what that is all about, but maybe look at it tomorrow, since I'm off.

John Deere

Reaction score
The two pickups I have had death wobble develope on, rebuilding the king pins were what it took to get rid of the problem. The only way I found to determine the problem was to disassemble and inspect the upper cone and plastic cup for wear as grabbing hold of the tire would never show the problem.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I decided today wasn't the day to crawl under it, I spent the day at the range with my wife and daughter. Found out my wife (all 100 pounds of her for those that haven't met her) loves the big noise! I turned her loose with some wicked hot 240 grain 44 magnum loads in my 12" contender...she shot half the box! lol We ran about 500 rounds through the 10/22, about 20 through the muzzle loader, a box or two through the .410 of my daughter's and 500 or so through our AR's...beat crawling under the truck! lol Except I'm still wondering what the hell is going on!
a good day at the range is one thing.
being able to do it at the comfort off the deck at the house with targets set up out to 200yrds is better:D

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
a good day at the range is one thing.
being able to do it at the comfort off the deck at the house with targets set up out to 200yrds is better:D

Can do that as well! Just the range has nice backer boards and benchs! lol Plus, no need to range find, we have 25, 50, 100 and 300 yard ranges, not to mention a 30X100 club house with cold drinks and snacks, bow range, 3d bow range, a 6 acre pond, etc. SO the change of scenery is nice too! We have over 500 yards to shoot at right outside the back door too! :) Oh, and a 24X12 covered deck to sit under while shooting it! :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online