Dana 60 front outer problems?

dagreendeville

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so my locking hubs are shot as I'm lookin into them I find I have no place on my splined shaft for a c clip for the hub I'm just curious is this normal or has anyone else ran into this before? Its kinda odd to me!

dagreendeville

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok that makes me feel a little better but I had one problem when I locked my hubs the side that was not broken I had to pull on the axle shaft towards the wheel to get it to lock in I was stuck only reason I found this problem out as for the broke side I just took it apart and manulally locked it. So my question is why would I have to play with the axled like that to get it to lock never had that problem

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could someone have possibly swapped the stub shafts? The hub should be fully engaged at all times, there shouldn't be room for the shaft to move that far in so that it misses the splines.

The snap ring on the stub is only there to hold the axle shaft close to the rear dust guard/seal to keep crap out of the spindle. I was sick of killing spindle bearings and getting my lockouts wet, so I installed a UHMV insert that replaces the seal and bearing - even after being 100% submerged multiple times everything was bone dry.

You must be registered for see images attach

One of my lockouts is busted and I was stuck, making enough noise that a neighbor investigated :p I ended up taking the lockout apart, putting the spring on the other side of the lockout and putting it back together. It basically forces the lockout to be locked all of the time - which really isn't a big deal for this truck. It's the pass side too - so I can still unlock the one side to let the driveshaft freely spin.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I had to do the same...I locked mine with a couple washers out of a slack adjuster S cam kit...the PERFECT size once I ground the inner side a little. I need a new pair of locking hubs for the old girl.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Could someone have possibly swapped the stub shafts? The hub should be fully engaged at all times, there shouldn't be room for the shaft to move that far in so that it misses the splines.

The snap ring on the stub is only there to hold the axle shaft close to the rear dust guard/seal to keep crap out of the spindle. I was sick of killing spindle bearings and getting my lockouts wet, so I installed a UHMV insert that replaces the seal and bearing - even after being 100% submerged multiple times everything was bone dry.

One of my lockouts is busted and I was stuck, making enough noise that a neighbor investigated :p I ended up taking the lockout apart, putting the spring on the other side of the lockout and putting it back together. It basically forces the lockout to be locked all of the time - which really isn't a big deal for this truck. It's the pass side too - so I can still unlock the one side to let the driveshaft freely spin.

Where did u get those inserts?

Optikalillushun

Reaction score

Where did u get those inserts?

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The snap ring on the stub is only there to hold the axle shaft close to the rear dust guard/seal to keep crap out of the spindle.
It's also to keep the U-joints centered with the turning axis of the ball joints or king pins. This is to keep the U-joints from binding...

dagreendeville

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so im at the point of doing all this work to my front axle finally, kyle so with those bushings they eliminate just the needle bearing or do the eliminate the bearing and seal all together and did you grease them before sliding the axle stub into them?

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They eliminate the bearing and seal - I've had my Bronco submerged under water for a few hrs and everything was still dry.

antiqueford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had trouble finding the heavy duty snap rings for my kingpin axle, only to find that it's not recommended to even put snaprings back on them anyway. There may even be a TSB on the subject.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist