Dana 50 right front axle reassemble HELP!

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So; my wonderful Ford factory service manual assured me that the axle splines were “phased” at the stub shaft, main shaft spline section and could only be assembled with the correct u-joint alignment. Naturally; I assumed it would be a waste of time to put an alignment mark on the separate shafts. Next I promptly pulled the splines apart & started looking for the large male spline.

Imagine my surprise when I could find no large male spline, also I found that I could reassemble the shaft in ANY clock position I desired!!

Well; I assume that the u-joints on each end should be in alignment, does anyone know if this is correct? Any tips/tricks on getting the original alignment, I’d like to improve my 50/50 odds of getting it right?

Thanks,

Kirk

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because the front end is not, generally, a posi unit; it does not matter. The axles will go into and out of phase at every corner, where each axle will spin at different rates. If It was critical there would be a keyed spline.

Dave

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Because the front end is not, generally, a posi unit; it does not matter. The axles will go into and out of phase at every corner, where each axle will spin at different rates. If It was critical there would be a keyed spline.

Dave

I'm not concerned about the splines at the carrier, I'm dealing with the splines between the two u-joints on the same (right) axle. I would think the assembly is balanced, and I'd like to maintain the original balance.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
The shaft spins far slower than a driveshaft and is not nearly as large a diameter... And it only spins when the front axle is engaged. I doubt it matters. You got a 50/50 shot anyhow, just put it back together. Failing that, maybe time for a D60.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as the two yokes are oriented in the same position and not 90* out of phase you should be fine. There is no "top and bottom" of a yoke that I am aware of. Just so that both are inline with each other. Phasing is very important no matter how slow a drive shaft turn.

Hope this helps. I'm assuming your talking about the passenger side correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Yep it's the passenger side, I'm just going to line up the yokes and call it good. I should have it back together this afternoon & will post up the results!

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you are over thinking this! Just stuff the U-joint back together, the splined axle will be 'clockable' to line up the two u-joints within the increments of the spline. I didn't figure this out but I suspect that "one way" you will be off a spline (yokes will be | / ) and 180 degrees (approximately) you will be lined up perfectly.

This pic shows a rubber boot over the axle spline. It's engagement of this spline that allows alignment of the outer yoke and the one right next to the diff that is in question.
You must be registered for see images attach

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you are over thinking this! Just stuff the U-joint back together, the splined axle will be 'clockable' to line up the two u-joints within the increments of the spline. I didn't figure this out but I suspect that "one way" you will be off a spline (yokes will be | / ) and 180 degrees (approximately) you will be lined up perfectly.
You must be registered for see images attach

This occurred to me while I was reinstalling, so I tried it both ways. It appeared to be the same alignment either way (I could be wrong, hard to be certain laying under the truck).

Any way I got it back together and took it for a test drive. Locked the hubs, gradually brought it up to 70 (I've never had the hubs in going that fast). Smooth as butter at all speeds. Smoother than before I took it apart, 'course it should be with new wheel & spindle bearings, ball joints, rotors & pads!

So, I either guessed right or it just doesn't matter.