dana 44 solid axle swap(curious)

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all, Just wondering if it is possible to swap a dana 44 high pinion under my diesel. I know that the dana 60 is more desireable but I dont off road and I really just want it because my 2wd ttb is just eating tires like crazy, and it would be nice to have the 4x4 if I need it. I found an axle locally it is a 79 F250 high pinion 3.54 complete for 200.00. What I was thinking was I might be able to use all of the dana 60 springs and hangers and such and just weld on my own purch on each side. I would have to think that a solid 44 is stronger and simpler to swap in than a 44 or 50 ttb, What do you guys think.:dunno

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really dont see a problem in using the 44. My cousing put one in his buddies 86 f350 diesel and didnt have any problems. Just had to weld some new perches for the springs and away they went. I do remember that they ended up using the driveshaft from the axle donor.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just make sure you get as much as possible, springs, shackles, brackets,shock towers, ect. with everything there it is a swap that is somewhat easy to do, depending on your skills and tools at hand.

Black Horse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a D44 in mine with a 7.3 and no problems. If you want to do some wheeling upgraded axle shafts are reasonable to buy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online

No members online now.