D60 intermitant loud growl and vibration

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a strange problem that perhaps someone might be familiar with. My D60 has a a very loud and heavy vibration from what sounds and feels like the front left. I seems to come and go, it started out smooth this morning, hit a little bump and then the loud growl and vibs. Swerving left right - no change, brake applied - no change. Then it fades and stops. Brand new rotor and pads; caliper is free (not seized). New rim swapped and no change. The front axles are disengaged and rotate very freely. I have adjusted the bearings - no change. ***???-Down I am thinking of tightening the bearing a little or just swap them out. Any opinions?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure sounds like a bearing but I would have thought swerving and such would make a difference. Maybe not. I hunting for over a month to find a bad bearing on my half ton. I was convinced it was the tcase. Then I was convinced it was the front diff. Then I was convinced it was a cv up front. Nope. Driver wheel bearing. Vibration was traveling up the front drive shaft.

Good luck.

Black dawg

Reaction score
does the frequency (speed) of the vibration seem to stay up even when you have slowed down considerably?

I have seen loose/dry spindle bearings (where the stub goes through the back of the spindle) cause this.....even with unlocked hubs.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
YES! :hail The frequency does not seem to be dependent on wheel speed. No idea why the spindle bearing would do this if the hubs and t-case are unlocked but this would be easy to test. I will put a plastic tie-wrap through the knuckle to stop it from turning (assuming it is) - if the noise is gone then that must be the problem.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^right if the bearing is bad it may be turning due to high friction in there. Perhaps dirt or crud got in somehow, or jsut he grease is no good anymore and it started doing some damage in there.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To troubleshoot this I put some plastic tie warps through the axle cardigan; there is no way the stub is spinning in the spindle, so the needle bearing is not the problem. I pulled the hub all apart last night, grease smelled 'off'. I flushed everything out, bearings look OK (have seen a lot worse!), just a little dull, repacked the bearings and torqued properly. This morning it did not make any noise. I think I can still feel something there though.

New bearings and seals on order, I will redo everything including the needle.

Black dawg

Reaction score
What kiind of shape are the lockouts it...like where the inner gear is snap ringed into the aluminum body?