D60 Carrier Bearings

WarNose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While rebuilding my front suspension i thought it would be a good idea to change the leaky inner axle seals on my D60. I tried running a rag between the ring and pinion gears to pop the carrier out (a trick I read about on another forum that I do not recommend) but it it started coming out unevenly and put the carrier bearings in an ugly bind, possibly damaging them. So now I would like to change the carrier bearings. If I built a case spreader would I be able to just replace the bearings and use the existing shim set? Or is this now something that I need to take into the shop and have backlash and everything else checked/set? Thank you.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You could check all that yourself.
I would clean and inspect the bearings. They might be fine.
And this is gonna sounds hokey, but unless you plan on driving at highway speed with the hubs locked, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's one of the major advantages of these trucks - hubs unlocked, nothing is moving. So you can limp along on a failing front U-joint, or sketchy front axle for a long time, if you only rarely need 4x4, as long as you keep the hubs unlocked.

WarNose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Here is a picture of the case spreader that I built. There are 2 short pieces of 3/4" bar stock welded on the underside to fit into the holes on the housing. The carrier popped out pretty easy. I also had better pry bars this time around, so I might not have needed it after all. I actually had to take the spreader off to get the carrier all the way back in. It was slightly deforming the case into a v-shape, making it narrower in the back.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726