Custom Headlights

91 7three

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As everyone knows, there is basically 0 options for aftermarket headlights for the brick nose. Can a custom build be done on these headlights? Always wanted to see some wicked headlights for a bricknose but no one has done it. Is there something that makes it undoable? I saw the thread on a forum where a guy used lexan for the lenses to make them clear. I would definitely do that and put something cool inside. Maybe an LED cube with an angel ring surrounding it? Just wanting to know if theres something that makes this undoable. Ive got a spare set of headlights so I figured I might give it a shot. What do you guys think?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As everyone knows, there is basically 0 options for aftermarket headlights for the brick nose. Can a custom build be done on these headlights? Always wanted to see some wicked headlights for a bricknose but no one has done it. Is there something that makes it undoable? I saw the thread on a forum where a guy used lexan for the lenses to make them clear. I would definitely do that and put something cool inside. Maybe an LED cube with an angel ring surrounding it? Just wanting to know if theres something that makes this undoable. Ive got a spare set of headlights so I figured I might give it a shot. What do you guys think?
First off, if you haven't already seen it, you might want to take a look at this thread: http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?73728-looking-for-new-headlights

There are HID projector install assemblies that can be retrofitted in place of where the light bulb goes in your housing. The only thing (as I described in the other thread, but this is EXTREMELY important) is that you'll have to fabricate a crystal-clear lens to replace the patterned lens that is currently there...you mentioned someone who used Lexan for the lenses; I think that's going on the right track.

The biggest thing to keep in mind is that light patterns are critically important to get the light where you want it while not blinding oncoming traffic -cuss It's not insurmountable, but for your own sake and for the sake of everyone who you're sharing the road with, please do not forget this. As to the LED idea, I don't know if there's anything that will drop in and work with the correct pattern, but it's worth looking at. I tend to think the "angel rings" look too rice-y, but to each his own.

That's one advantage to the slant-nose trucks...they use sealed-beams which opens up a world of options.

In any event, sounds like a fun project...I wish you the best of luck with it! ;Sweet

91 7three

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a way I could make a high and low beam? LED cubes (like the off road deals) for high beam and ??? for the low beam? how exactly would i go about wiring that?

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a way I could make a high and low beam? LED cubes (like the off road deals) for high beam and ??? for the low beam? how exactly would i go about wiring that?

In my experience, a person is only limited by four factors:

Their skill

Their imagination

Their wallet

The law

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the money, the imagination and the skill, you're basically free to do whatever you want as long as the law agrees with your doing so. Making your own headlights puts A LOT of pressure on you because there are LOTS of laws regarding light patterns and aiming and heights of the lights and crap you'd NEVER think the law would give a crap about. Fair warning. :puke: LOL

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Making your own headlights puts A LOT of pressure on you because there are LOTS of laws regarding light patterns and aiming and heights of the lights and crap you'd NEVER think the law would give a crap about. Fair warning. :puke: LOL
As I said in the other thread, I'm a professional driver who spends a lot of time on the road at night...being blinded by misaligned or illegally modified headlights is one of my biggest pet peeves. So, while the laws can get obnoxious and are a bit outdated (I should note that I have absolutely zero issue with people running headlights that meet EU specs but don't meet DOT specs; in fact, I have E-code sealed beam housings for H4 bulbs in my truck now ;Sweet ), I strongly contend that those laws are there for a reason...please follow them :)

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do not hodge podge something together THAT MAY OR MAY NOT BE DOT approved FOR the sake of yourself..tickets and such and others light patter s being dangerous.

Just get new lenses or $$$pend the $$$ and order up some of the Fine Aussie head light setups and run some ass kicking sealed beams that are DOT compliant.

Headlights are supposed to be a functional item not a fashion statement.

Add some good auxillary lighting and yer golden.

JM2CW

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Headlights are supposed to be a functional item not a fashion statement.

JM2CW
^^^^^ This. WAAAAY more than two cents' worth! This ^^^^ should be a pop-up message anytime someone pulls up an eBay item for some god-erful "HID UPPGRAYYED" headlight kit. Every time I see a thread about some headlight mod / upgrade, and there are only pics OF the headlights from the outside, and no pics looking out the windshied USING the headlights, I think ;Really .....

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^^^ This. WAAAAY more than two cents' worth! This ^^^^ should be a pop-up message anytime someone pulls up an eBay item for some god-erful "HID UPPGRAYYED" headlight kit. Every time I see a thread about some headlight mod / upgrade, and there are only pics OF the headlights from the outside, and no pics looking out the windshied USING the headlights, I think ;Really .....

there will be one when im done.

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a guy over on Fullsizebronco.com that sells HID lights for the bull nose and OBS styles they are really high quality. He was working on and looking for a tester for the bricknose and said the first one to get them would get the lights basically at cost. Not sure if he has had any takers. Look in the vendor forum over there. His user name is TCM GLX.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online