Cummins conversion

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm planning for a Cummins swap into my '91 F-350. Currently looking to go to a NEW "610" from Cummins due to my desire to get a warranty of some sort on the engine. Test drove a new Ram with that engine yesterday and was impressed.

I don't really plan any HUGE mods, as my desire is to get 6-10 years out of the truck. How tough would it be on the new Cummins, though, to get about 800 ft-lbs out of her from a durability standpoint. Pulling 10,000+ pounds and don't want to slow down on hills if I can help it. Want to do whatever I need to in order to keep EGTs and trans temps down.

The transmission is a Brian's Truck Shop E4OD rebuild similar to what is found in trucks making LOTS more power than the current IDI engine under the hood. I don't think I can get a stronger trans than what I have... certainly not willing to pay the money for one.

Will the new Cummins fill the bill? Should I look to something used?

Mike

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Mike,

I will say that I have not pulled with one of HPCR Cummins only driven them on test drives when I was looking - impressive I must say. I think that you will be making a good choice on the engine selection.

Now from what I have been told from talking to various RV'ers at campgrounds that the latest and greatest from Cummins/Dodge pull like mine does which is run down the highway with the cruise set at 70mph and don't pay any attention any mind to grades just steer and enjoy the scenery... Trust me I'm not boasting - I don't pay much mind to my pyro because I don't have to unless I want to run faster on the grades. If I'm into a head wind I might see 950° on the pyro (70+mph). I know from talking to most of the RV'ers that they have added programmers to theirs to increase the power and when they do I can tell from their talk/descriptions that the engine pulls like mine (power wise) if not maybe a fraction better.

Trust me Mike if what the RV'ers I have talked to are not lying then you won't have one bit of problems climbing the grades - I know that I had no problems on way down or the way back from Florida.

It's just simply amazing powerwise when you step out of an IDI into a newer power plant. No offense to the IDI but things have come a long way baby... (sort of like the old cig print ads of years ago)...

Whit

Reaction score
Mike, Not saying it cant be done but conversions with any 24 valve have lots of electronics involved whereas any 12 valve (mechanical) is very simple.........all I am saying is that make sure you are up to the task before you dive in.

Cheers, Kevin

MUDDY

Reaction score
theres a way around the electronic garbage,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,if,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ya can figger it out. heck,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,at mm04 they had an early 1gen with an 03 engine and worked around the cmptr somehow. purty neat.

but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,if i was doin what ya wanted to do it be a p7100 12v

ive had 2 1gens, 2 2g 24v's, 2 3g's, and 2 2gen 12v's. all of em good but the 12v p7100s have advntaages

Last edited:

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whitmore said:
Mike, Not saying it cant be done but conversions with any 24 valve have lots of electronics involved whereas any 12 valve (mechanical) is very simple.........all I am saying is that make sure you are up to the task before you dive in.

Cheers, Kevin

It's really a warranty issue. I'm having a shop that specializes in this do the work, so they can handle the electronics issues (they're doing someone else's truck right now with a 2004.5 engine). I'd rather get a new engine with warranty than an unknown... been there, done that, paid lotsa dough to get my '91 up to *****.

Mike

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MUDDY said:
theres a way around the electronic garbage,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,if,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ya can figger it out. heck,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,at mm04 they had an early 1gen with an 03 engine and worked around the cmptr somehow. purty neat.

but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,if i was doin what ya wanted to do it be a p7100 12v

ive had 2 1gens, 2 2g 24v's, 2 3g's, and 2 2gen 12v's. all of em good but the 12v p7100s have advntaages

What does the p7100 12V offer? Like I say... bombing isn't what I'm wanting... I want long-term reliability and am nervous about spending several thou for a used engine, then another $4000 for labor and miscellaneous parts... with no warranty on what would be the most important piece of the truck.

Mike

MUDDY

Reaction score
Mikes91 said:
What does the p7100 12V offer? Like I say... bombing isn't what I'm wanting... I want long-term reliability and am nervous about spending several thou for a used engine, then another $4000 for labor and miscellaneous parts... with no warranty on what would be the most important piece of the truck.

Mike

you ask,,,,,,,,,,,,what does the p7100 12v offer? simple mike. what ya say ya want. 'long term reliability'. :)

they all be good but the p7100, simple injectors and the mech lift pump is less to worry bout. just my opinion

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MUDDY said:
you ask,,,,,,,,,,,,what does the p7100 12v offer? simple mike. what ya say ya want. 'long term reliability'. :)

they all be good but the p7100, simple injectors and the mech lift pump is less to worry bout. just my opinion

Sounds good. Thank you.