Cummins 12 V Swap in my 99 PSD

Mad Max

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I found this site looking for some good info on the 12V Cummins. I have a 99.5 F-350 PSD that I have modded over the years to make it like I like it. I have a fully built BTS Trans that should be able to take anything I throw at it.

Please do not make this a PSD -V- Cummins bashing session...

I like my truck and is runs great. It has over 200K on it and the only parts replaced have been a water pump and CPS.

Here is my question. I want to get about 450 HP out of my truck and I have a couple of options. My dad owns a moving business and he has three PSD's and three Cummins. One of the 97 Cummins got recked and my dad is going to part the truck out and he said I can have what I want.

The Cummins has a little over a 100K on it. I know what it will take to get my PSD to run like I want it but I do not know what the cost to install the Cummins and mod it to make 500 HP.

If I stick with my PSD here are my plans.

BTS Twin HP Pumps - $2500
Injectors - $2500
Turbo - $1500
Fuel System - $600

Total = $7100

Since I can get the Cummins for free what I would like to know is what it will take to mod the Cummins to make to 450 HP. I will be doing to work myself so labor is not an issue.

The cost to get the parts for the swap run about $3K and I hope to get about $1.5K out of my PSD. So the cost to get the Cummins in my truck and running will be $1.5K. I just need to know what mods are required to get the Cummins to 450HP.

This truck is my daily driver and I need to to be able to tow when I need it so the mods need to be dependable.

Thanks,

Barry

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
to get that level of HP out of a cummins 12v is pretty easy and doesn't cost that much.

1. Fuel Plate - Grind the stock one down to a #100 or pull a Rubberfish and grind it back a little further - FREE -

2. GSK - Gov Spring Kit - 3k will work just fine - $100 -

3. AFC spring kit - this will allow the fuel to come on a little sooner - $35 -

4. Boost control elbow - basically it's a pop off valve that goes in the wastegate line - dial it in to the top boost you want. - $35 -

5. Free flowing exhaust - starts at about $400 for a system/kit -

6. 370 marine injectors - $400 -

7. High flow delivery valves - $230 -

All of the prices were gathered from Piers Diesel.

Mad Max

Reaction score
I have one more question. Someone ripped of the Turbo and I found a HX-40 for $300.00. Will this Turbo work with my plans??

rubberfish

Reaction score
Yes. An HX40 will work for you.
You do realize that with 450+ rwhp
towing is going to be quite difficult.

Mad Max

Reaction score
I thought 450 HP out of a 12V was a safe level of power for towing. What will be the problem with towing at that level??

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
EGT's - because with towing you will be in the lower rpm range - where she will be fueling but not breathing real heavy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance