Crazy question and theory

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As some of you know Dark thread cutting oil has a very high sulfur content. Could adding a small amount of this type of oil to our ultra low sulfur fuel make it better for our old diesels that love sulfur in the fuel.

Now, this is just a question and not something that I have done nor am I telling anyone else to do. But what do you guys think? Could something like this work?

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The engine doesn't care about the sulfur, it's the process to make ultra low sulfur fuel that takes the lubricity out of the fuel. Just run some sort of fuel additive that contains a lubricant and it wont know the difference.

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I meant more of the injection pump and the injectors. No so much the internals of the engine itself.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Really may work but knowing more about the cutting oil should be investigated before you try running it. As already posted about lubricity in our fuel.Just run some kind of added oil in our fuel. This forum did a very good comparison on all the top additives. Doing a search will explain how things turned out.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
This forum did a very good comparison on all the top additives. Doing a search will explain how things turned out.

Heck, there were even a few threads some years ago where we were comparing mileages between them..........

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the topic of additives, I had to switch tanks halfway through my trip today with the trailer and I was surprised to find it seemed to have slightly less power when I switched to the tank WITHOUT the two stroke oil.

That being said, the butt dyno has lied before. Your results may vary!