cranking rpms for starting?

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i recently had an electrical problem with my 6.2 that made it hard to start - basically one of the batteries was low and sometimes it would not start until i charged it up even though it would crank and crank.

Now, i know the batteries are brand new on my 7.3 but it takes quite a bit of cranking to start and it seems to turn over kind of slow when cranking, so i am wondering if something is preventing it from getting the kind of rmps it needs for an easy start. I know the starter is also new but perhaps the cables are getting worn out. Since i have a tachometer i was wondering if i could use that so see how fast the engine turns when cranking, and that would tell me if i have a problem in that area.
Can anyone tell me what rpm's i should be seeing when cranking?
thanks,
paul

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know mine hits 500 rpms, according to the tach, I think 400 was the minimum. After the new 3-0 cables Jake's 6.9 with a new starter hits 700 according to the tach, but dunno how accurate that is.

smoking89IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't forget about the starter relay, if it is old it is probably burned inside and you will loose amps there as well, even just cleaning and re-tightening all the cables can make a HUGE difference.