Cracked Exhaust manifold?

Mogcrazy

Reaction score
Just bought a 99 24valve truck with some upgrades and I noticed the exhaust manifold has two hairline cracks in it. I thought no big deal I'll just buy a new one, but when I checked online the only manifolds I could find were close to the $500 range:eek: I'm relatively new to the dodge diesels, but is there a better place to find a cheaper exhaust manifold or should I just expect to pay half a grand any where I go?

Thanks
Mogcrazy

redneck pride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check with ats on the manifold they might be cheaper and they are a 3 piece unit so that it wont crack again, Id be checkn that turbo and make sure nottin happined to that also, whoever had it must a had some high egt's coming out of it

Mogcrazy

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, would a water/**** system help out this problem if I went with a stock manifold again? Seems like this cracking is a pretty common problem. Also what EGT temp is the one too look out for I heard you don't want to go over 12000 deg.

Thanks again

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
you are lucky it cracked and didn't lift the head off the block - that is what causes a lot of headgasket failures... the stock exhaust manifold is so large that as it expands and contracts because of the heat cycles it has a nasty habit of either lifting the head off the block or if you are lucky it just cracks and creates a place to it move around. It lifted mine off, on a buddies truck (99-24v) we caught it in time because the front bolts on the exhaust manifold were tweeked something fierce and it had cracked the manifold.... pick up a multi-piece manifold and don't look back - it's the safest way to go.

redneck pride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
water **** will help lower egts and get some extra power to boot, i'd say you wana stay around the 1250 range to be safe, but if you go over it for a second or to you arent going to hurt anything, just dont do it for long periods of time

Mogcrazy

Reaction score
EGT

Thanks for the help guys, I'm just going to save up my pennies for the three piece style manifold. It's just a hairline crack, and I'm pretty easy on the truck. The highest I've gotten the EGT is 800 and I always let it cool down to 400 before turning it off, hopefully that adds some life to the manifold before I NEED to get a new one.

Thanks again

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mines got a cracked manifold, its got 234 and its stock except for a 4 inch turbo back. how do i check if theres anything wrong with the turbo. seems to be fine, but im missing a manifold bolt. tryin to get a 3 piece BD. you know its kinda funny, when i work on a buddies truck i know what im doin and workin on, when it comes to mine im so unsure. i dont wanna take it outa commission

Last edited:

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Check turbo for play. It will have a little side to side but NONE axial (forward / backward). Then check the mounting face to the exhaust manifold - should be flat. And that it spins freely. No oil or signs that oil has been leaking from the center section. If's all's good strap it on and enjoy.

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my entire engine bay is covered in soot and grease lol. it seems to be grease because it seems like it was undercoated with some grease. alot of people thought it was oil at first but it seems too thick, but there was a little bit of soot around the inlet side of the turbo,but it was minimal and i got it with a rag, and where your saying to look on the pedestal where the manifold mounts?

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
yep check the mounting face for the turbo to exhaust manifold - there will be a steel gasket there.

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
has a millimeter of play side to side and back to front. im gettin the bay steam cleaned soon, so if i have any leaks, ill know then.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FordLTDiesel

Members online