could really use some help/advice.

zukgod

Reaction score
I have a 91 F350 7.3idi, I replaced the starter about 3 weeks ago and when I did like an idiot I did not unhook the batteries. So when reinstalling it, I arched the power wire for just a second, scared the crud out of me so it was a short arch. Anyhow now my glowplugs are not working, I tried to do a manual switch like in the FAQ's and they still don't light off. I pulled and checked all the plugs and the all heat up great, motocraft plugs.
I have checked the fuses under the dash, but it's just acting like I have blown a fuse someplace. I don't think I burnt any wires but I can't find this one. Glow plug controller is also still clicking on and off like it used to it just does not run power to the plugs.
I would really appreciate any help, I checked the search function many times before wasting anyones time. Thanks again.

josh

zukgod

Reaction score
I think I got it. I turned the key to the on position and noticed smoke coming off of the glow plug relay/controller ground area. So I took that all apart and cleaned the ground and it seems to work fine now. let me know if I may be missing something.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
do you have constant 12v on the two big yellow wires on the glow plug relay? This use fusible links that maybe burnt.

zukgod

Reaction score
I will check the constant 12v to the yellow wires but it's starting without a problem now. Thanks all but I think it got worked out atleast I hope.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had that smoke there too, some (get this!) insects were trapped under the plastic shield over the GPR and fried to death and then some when I hit the glowplugs!

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol, I think it was some kind of a large bee, at least that's what the charred remains looked like... Sure made a smoke and stink tho!

zukgod

Reaction score
Well back to the drawing board. I now just did the bypass for the 7.3 and for some reason I am still not getting any juice to the GP's. Before I would have to turn the key on and off about 100 times then the GP's would kick on. I have no idea, I am going to purchase a new relay and see if that works. Anyone try that one on ebay that the guy swears by with the sweeping action? Thanks all I really appreciate this site.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin