Core plug driver

Frstdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After reading this again, Want to make mention that the drawings I used to make my pin holder calls for a 3.5" radius on the end that holds the plug in place.
So, only the very outside edge of the pin holder is in contact with the plug. You have to look close to see the radius on the holder.
Thanks

You must be registered for see images attach

Frstdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got time to spend on the 6.9 and installed the core plugs and piston cooling squirters.
Here are comparison pics of the core plugs.
Factory plug, my install, and machine shop install using something other than the correct tool.
When I removed the machine shop plugs it took very little effort with the slide hammer. One plug just took a slight tap to remove it. That one might have blown out.
When I removed the factory installed plugs it took lots of heavy hits with the slide hammer. To the point of pulling the threads off the sheet metal screws.
I sealed these with Hylomar Universal Blue. Hopefully they are in there for good.

WarNose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow that is an impressive comparison. Mine look just like your machine shop installed ones. Makes me want to get an installation tool and reinstall mine.

Frstdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After researching on here and reading all the posts, I thought I better put some extra effort into this issue.
My other option was to remove the land the disk plug sits on with a 1.5" metal cutting hole saw and install cup style plugs. Justin has a video on this method.
Or, remove the land and tap them for pipe threads and use a screw in pipe plug.
I kind of wanted the challenge of making my own installation tool.
I also made a simple tool to install the press-in oil squirters to the factory 0.5" depth.
All looks good, now we will see if it will last.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After researching on here and reading all the posts, I thought I better put some extra effort into this issue.
My other option was to remove the land the disk plug sits on with a 1.5" metal cutting hole saw and install cup style plugs. Justin has a video on this method.
Or, remove the land and tap them for pipe threads and use a screw in pipe plug.
I kind of wanted the challenge of making my own installation tool.
I also made a simple tool to install the press-in oil squirters to the factory 0.5" depth.
All looks good, now we will see if it will last.

I think that trying to do anything to replace the existing design is much higher risk than just replacing the stock design plugs. Plently of engines out there with poorly put in plugs that have lasted just fine, and with reasonable care and/or the homemade tools I think there's very low risk of a bad install.

In contrast, trying to drill out for a cup plug carries a high risk of an out of round / oversized hole, which then isn't going to hold the plug right either, and no good way to recover. Also a risk of hitting the cylinder wall with the drill and gouging it... also potentially ruining the engine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online