Cooling system flush and radiator restoration

Mr Clickety Clackety

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to attempt to salvage my two brass/copper radiators as well as flush the water jackets in the block on my 87 6.9L.

Found this tid bit of information on anorthern forum... check out post #14
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/best-way-to-de-rust-cooling-system.943881/
"Professional cooling system de-scaling is done with Sulphamic acid for hard water, lime and antifreeze build up.
Oxalic acid is used to remove rust.
Sulphamic acid crystals are available at the hardware store in form of 'grout and tile cleaner'.
Oxalic acid crystals are available in form of 'wood bleach'.
Containers say what acid is used and its pure acid crystals with no other additives.
Available in 16oz. containers, which gives the right mixing ratio with water for the typical car cooling system with 3-4 gallons capacity"

I'm going to attempt to hook up a electric water pump (from the pet store for fish tanks) and circulate the chemical mixtures (one at a time) through the block.
I plan to put a filter on the inlet of the pump to catch any chunks and prevent the pump from clogging.
Also plan on flushing the radiator in the same fashion. only with the Sulphamic acid solution because I doubt there is rust in there.

I'll keep yell posted with the results, hopefully by next week (I have to get my house ready for my sister and her husband to move in so I'm pretty busy lol)

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Be forewarned, there's a 99.99999% chance cleaning the radiator and core support will create leaks.
Won't really be rust in them, but will be mineral/sca deposits.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good idea to flush the cooling system. However, chances are you will have to replace the radiator after you do it. They only last so long. And at ~30 years old, probably better off just to replace it because it might leak afterwards. Also keep an eye on the water pump after you do this. An old pump with a brittle seal will also start leaking after flushing.
Having said that, I have had great luck with motorcraft VC-9 radiator flush. It is a little pricey at $20 a quart but the only one that actually works as advertised.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To add, champion radiators are the way to go. I had one in my idi and just put one in my Jeep. They are relatively inexpensive and the 3 rows do an excellent job at keeping these engines running cool.

oilburner22

Reaction score
Are either of these acids harmful to new gaskets? I'm in the middle of resealing and repainting my engine and I was wanting to flush the water jackets pretty good as I noticed a good bit of scaling (I'm assuming that's the white/green flaky stuff on the jacket walls) I'm not so much worried about rust but more so scaling. But then again I don't want to mess up my new gaskets or new water pump.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online