coolant temps

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's not forget about the "overtemp" switch. By some of you, it sounds like yours is NOT WORKING. It comes on (supposedly) at 242 degrees. I've recently realized this sensor is completely worthless, and am going to replace it with ones that go off at 230. My ISSpro temp senders are in the rear passenger side head, and I never see higher than 220. Running the AC on the Moosestang seems to make the bigger difference, usually jacking the temp up 10 or so degrees.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll have a look... but if memory serves I have a 190-200 reading on the gage consistently when it's cold outside and the bottom of the radiator is only warm. We talking about a 7.3 IDI?

Yes, and I double checked my extra block , keep in mind the stock gauge is not that accurate.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the crap You flushed out of the radiator, I'd jsut replace it. I'd bet the radiator is all scaled inside.

We have a 2mile hill here that I pull 8-10 times a week. When temps are 80+ I can watch the factory gauge climb until I hear the fan clutch engage. Then it cools right back down. 12 lbs of boost really gets the coolant hot.

Another thing I've always wondered about is the changes in the heads. From 6.9 to 7.3 I recall there is some differences. Gasket changes to seal off coolant ports? Would it be prudent to cut the head gaskets to include the blocked off ports?

That is not a good idea because the water will take the path of least resistance and the back of the engine would never get cooled.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
Running the AC on the Moosestang seems to make the bigger difference, usually jacking the temp up 10 or so degrees.

i might have some thing wrong with my truck here but
in the dead heat of summer not towing of course im still seeing my coolant temps at 190
all i have done is
new water pump & thermostat
rodded out radiatior (boiled)
cat coolant
coolant filter
and the heater core shut off valve for the a/c
thats it

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, as many of you know i just put in my mechanical gauge but i placed it in the factory over temp position. Temps cruising the freeway are at 185. I can see it go up to 190 then the thermos opens and it comes back down. Thats with the AC off.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
Alright, as many of you know i just put in my mechanical gauge but i placed it in the factory over temp position. Temps cruising the freeway are at 185. I can see it go up to 190 then the thermos opens and it comes back down. Thats with the AC off.

thats what mine does

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
Justin, my phone is still off so I can't call you but I wanted to let you know ASAP that this weekend isn't going to work. I have a temp job for Saturday-Monday, so I'll be doing that this weekend to try to make some money. I should have my phone back on soon, and I'll call you.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Justin, my phone is still off so I can't call you but I wanted to let you know ASAP that this weekend isn't going to work. I have a temp job for Saturday-Monday, so I'll be doing that this weekend to try to make some money. I should have my phone back on soon, and I'll call you.

Kenneth, what are you doing putting work before hanging out with friends, thats awfully responsible of you, what ARE you thinking.:rotflmao:rotflmao
Just kidding.
Russ

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
Kenneth, what are you doing putting work before hanging out with friends, thats awfully responsible of you, what ARE you thinking.:rotflmao:rotflmao
Just kidding.
Russ

You're right Russ;Sweet... Friends should come first, but I need the money to pay for all the toys I enjoy:D... Oh, and to pay bills.:rotflmao:rotflmao

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
Kenneth thats cool. If I get my tax check I may head down and haul a load of trash for you and pick up the parts off the parts truck. At least that will get you a little closer to caught up. I have to see what is what with money though. Work keeps haveing me do STUPID busy work and I am about fed up. Work is work but I went from the highest certified lube tech to the highest certified wash boy. royal pita!

punk

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
Kenneth thats cool. If I get my tax check I may head down and haul a load of trash for you and pick up the parts off the parts truck. At least that will get you a little closer to caught up. I have to see what is what with money though. Work keeps haveing me do STUPID busy work and I am about fed up. Work is work but I went from the highest certified lube tech to the highest certified wash boy. royal pita!

punk

I wouldn't worry about a trash/dump run for me because I'm still sorting through the garage to figure out what is my "I'm keeping" junk, and my "time to let it go" junk. I'll have to go with you to the parts truck... Not sure how the dog out there willl handle a stranger...:eek:

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
In an attempt to get more baseline data I am posting this on here:

I ended up putting my temp gauge in the Engine Temp Light spot. I have never even seen the light come on even with the temps in the "L" range of NORMAL so I am using that location for my gauge.

I just ran it on the highway at 70 mph (A/C on) and got all the way up to the "A" in Normal and that corresponded with 220F on the gauge.

It ran most of the way right in the middle of the M which was about 210F -215F.

Between the R and M was right at 200F.

In short for my specific pickup:

N~185 F
O~190 F
R~195 F
M~205 F
A~220 F
L~????

I hope this helps and is in the spririt of what we are trying to accomplish with this thread!

Thad

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789

Members online