Converting a Ford IDI to WVO - Fill me in on the details

bombthreat

Reaction score
This is the reason why I bought my 93' 7.3. I've done reading and searched around but I'm looking for information right from people that have done the conversion themselves. I'm going to build this system myself in order to save money and learn more about the details of the working system. Not to mention I think the pre-packaged stuff is overpriced for the sake of simplicity . But I am very new and need the details on what exactly is needed for a working WVO system for the IDI Fords. What parts did you guys use, the best routing, things to avoid, ect. It would be really awesome if you guys could draw up a sketch on MS paint or something similar with the fuel routes, valves, solenoids, ect on how exactly you have the system working on your truck.

I don't know much of anything in detail about the workings of WVO systems. Just the very basic concept behind it. Basically the WVO needs to be @ 160 degrees in order to flow properly...180+ degrees is best though. It's a two tank system, one dedicated to WVO the other to Diesel. You start the struck on Diesel until the WVO warms to approx 160 degrees then switch over... what needs to be used here to do that?

So if someone could give me a rundown on the process and the steps for the system with the parts needed for each step that would be great too. Im just trying to understand fully how everything works and the order in which.

Here's a quick diagram of a truck with the engine and 2 tanks... If you want to use that to sketch how your system works.

You must be registered for see images attach

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Talk to Grease Fire if you can. He seems to know his stuff. He says that our metal tanks will cause problems over time when exposed to hot WVO. Obviously the solution is to get a plastic fuel tank for your veggie oil and keep the stock fuel tank for your startup diesel/biodiesel. You could still use the factory selector valve or an aftermarket echelin(almost direct replacement).

bombthreat

Reaction score
thanks for the tip, yeah i read somewhere steel tanks speed up some process with the veggie oil to make it go bad...no real sure on that. I was just flipping through a northern tool catalog i got in the mail and they have some real nice tanks that are aluminum. I can get a 80 gallon for $399 and its DOT approved

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
one thing is your tank does not tneed to be 160 it just needs to be warm enough to flow 160 is supposedly what temp the wvo needs to be to burn correctly but I can tell you cold wvo will burn but if you want it hot then it just needs to be that temp before it goes in not the entire system. although if you live in a cold climate and wanna use it all winter heat is key.

bombthreat

Reaction score
Yes I plan on using this in upstate NY and temps reach 0 degrees in the dead of winter. Although my long distance traveling will be during the warmer months..

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard even 120 is hot enough to get it to flow right,but 160 or 180 is much better. If you want to be sure when you get the heat exchanger all plumbed in, don't switch to WVO until you reach operating temp. at which point you should be close to an acceptable temp and viscoscity.