Compressed Natural Gas and diesel dual fuel system.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats pretty nice setup.
Just so I didn't read over something to fast, the CNG takes the place of diesel fuel when you switch over??
I know this type of fuel burns dry, would that be a problem for diesels???

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Thats pretty nice setup.
Just so I didn't read over something to fast, the CNG takes the place of diesel fuel when you switch over??
I know this type of fuel burns dry, would that be a problem for diesels???

Crap... I tried to edit and lost it all!!

The CNG blends in. As it comes in you just use less throttle. Some diesel is always required to light off the CNG.

It burns dry, but it is blended about 50/50 so you always have some diesel in there. This regulator allows the CNG to be off at idle, but pulls fuel as soon as the turbo starts to spin. Adds a bunch of torque down low. HP is a little higher, but I don't get into ******* the CNG. CNgs strength is at light throttle cruise speeds.

Funny, when I bough the kit I told my wife it might cause diesel to drop; today I filled the diesel for $3.09!! :) Oh, well.
Hand calculated mileage on diesel alone was 24.5 MPG. Best this pig ever got before was around 15.5MPG babying it. I hot rodded a little on this tank to test things out.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats sounds like a pretty good way to use CNG.
I really like how the fuel mileage jumped up.
This setup is on your 2012 Ram, right?? Do you think it would be easier to adapt to the IDI's, being they have now computerization??

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Thats sounds like a pretty good way to use CNG.
I really like how the fuel mileage jumped up.
This setup is on your 2012 Ram, right?? Do you think it would be easier to adapt to the IDI's, being they have now computerization??

That is the beauty of using a natural aspiration type regulator- it should work on any diesel. A simple toggle switch wired through an oil pressure switch (to meet NFPA code) is all the wiring I have hooked to the truck. The only advantage I see to the electronics is the Ram automatically cuts diesel at idle to compensate for the tiny bit of CNG (this is adjustable on the CNG regulator) and maintains 680rpm.

I'm sure you would want to set it up on the conservative side and do some testing to work up the CNG to diesel ratio on an IDI. They are higher compression, which may be less tolerant of the extra gas; I really don't know. What I do know is that if it adds as much torque to an IDI as it does a 6.7L... I would still be driving my old dually with the IDI motor in it.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
So... just thought of something else. You would probably want some kind of safety to make sure you couldn't flow CNG while your glow plugs were heating!!

A simple Normally Open thermo switch that locked out the flow until the motor was up to 160 F or so maybe.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow thanks lot of good info.
I want to ask another "what if" question.
Do you think that propane could be used in the same manner as CNG??
Just thinking that propane could be easier to get for me, rather than CNG.
If propane could be used is propane less powerfull than CNG??

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Propane has a lower autoignition temperature than CNG, which is more likely to damage your motor. Lots of kits out there, but do a little search and you will find a bunch of blown motors.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726