compound turbo setup on 3406b?????

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
So basically, your are trying to put an ACERT turbo setup on a B-model?

Been around ACERTs, don't waste your time.

However, I never considered twins. That, plus true duals might be interesting.

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
I believe that all the compound turbo Cats have steel top pistons. I dont believe that the 3406 had them untill the C or E. Cats comound setup they are runnin now bulds some serious boost in seriously quick times. Our newes truck with a C13 will hit almost 60 punds of boost when fully loaded. It will be above 20 psi almost rite off idle. I like the way these newer cats run. The 6.4 powerstroke has a similar feel to it but I have no idea what kind of numbers they come up with for boost. A properly setup compund will develop great boost and response across the whole RPM range when setup rite.
Ken

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
hopefully someone with more cat knowledge will post on this. I think it would be a great project.
k€en

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
How many HP you want out of the poor old B model? You can make it do more than it will live through with one wind jammer. My old B dynos at 408 to the rubber. I'm sure that someone can figure the accurate loss of power through the drive line. Anyway I can still drive the thing and not worry about it. That block is designed to withstand 500hp and live its just a shorter life span.

johnnydark

Reaction score
she's probably is in the 550 to 600 hp range now. i have some after market nozzles and a modified turbo on her now. running propane injection when i day trip. awesome combination. dumping all into a single straight 7. nice tone. i have a stock 425 turbo in the shop and was wanting to add as a compound, not a twin setup.

johnnydark

Reaction score
oh i forgot , you can figure a good 75 hp is lost to make everything turn. i had a b model that set to cat spec (10% over) was putting 425 to the ground. the shop manager almost choked on his false teeth when she came back from the dyno. i have never had this c on the dyno.